Just got her Saturday! :( HELP PLS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MegMTL, Oct 27, 2014.

1. MegMTL

MegMTL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Pls help I picked up these two Silkies saturday morning. after we got them home we noticed they were covered in fleas!!! and the black one wasn't doing very well (we were also told both hens! White one is definitely a rooster!) I have dusted them and the entire coop with DE. The fleas appear to be gone but I will keep dusting every few days until I am certain. Do you think the eye issues are from the fleas? I was able to wipe away a lot of the crust this morning and she spent the night in a cat carrier with food, water under a heat lamp. She seemed much better today but still not great. She was also just staying in the corner. When she went to eat the white one would attack her and she would instead go back to her corner :( this is why I put her in the cat crate. Will the roo stop bullying her? Someone offered me another hen, hopefully it will help. Advice please!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The eye issue is probably disease but hard to tell. Perhaps where they came from the ventilation and hygiene was less than stellar.
    I'd use something stronger for the fleas like 5% Sevin dust.
    You also need to add more food and water locations so she can eat.

3. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    http://www.communitychickens.com/got-fleas-13-chicken-flea-facts/
    http://archive.agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/imported_assets/content/aap/pou/hea/fn_stickfast_flea.pdf

Here's some links you may find useful in regards to fleas. It looks like the eye irritation could indeed be from fleas. You could give them a warm bath if you'd like, but make sure to dry them thoroughly after and reapply some dust. I'm not sure DE will completely eradicate the fleas. I myself do not find it to work for mites, but maybe fleas are a different story.

As for the rooster bullying the hen. Try letting them see eachother for a while, but not touching. Then at night when you feel it's been long enough try to sneak the hen in there. Keep multiple feed and water stations so that if any one is ever bullied they have somewhere else to go. It may be best to keep them separate until they are all healed up. Sometimes when a chicken is feeling down the others will pick on them.

4. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I agree with chickencanoe you may want to consider sevin dust. I keep that on hand and permethrin.

5. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Thank you! I just went in to check on her. I checked her skin and feathers there's nothing on her now? so weird. Maybe it wasn't fleas? It almost looked like little fruit flies crawling through their feathers. I will pick up the Sevin and permetheryn at the co-op if they have any this afternoon. I also put the rooster in my pig pen while they are outside and opened the door to the crate for the hen to go about their coop as she pleases.

The crusty eye (left) pictured above looks great since I wiped it this am but the other eye (right) is very swollen; but i don't see much discharge.

When I removed the roo they were 'talking' to each other so I'm assuming that is a good sign as well right?

6. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Were the eyes swollen and irritated when you picked them up? If not, it is possible that the eye irritation could be from the DE. It's abrasive in nature and can irritate your eyes as well as theirs. You will want to protect their head and eyes when applying.

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I think over time they'll do alright together. It sounds like wherever they came from put a lot of stress on them. Once they settle and start to feel better I would think they'd get along. Lucky for them they ended up with you :)

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could have been common chicken mites, and those will come out at night on the chickens, then disappear into the crevices of the coop during the daylight hours. Check her at night in the dark with a flashlight or headlamp. eye drainage with crust and a swollen eye can be MG (mycoplasma) or coryza. Is there any bad smell around the head that could mean coryza? Do you have other chickens? MG, coryza, and other respiratory diseases can make carriers of your whole flock for life. I would not keep them if I had other chickens, and any new chickens brought in may be at risk for catching this. If the swollen eye could be from an injury, it may respond to warm compresses and antibiotic ointment applied to the eye. Here is some reading about the symptoms of the various respiratory diseases and mites:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/08/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification.html

If possible I would get the chicken tested for MG and coryza, and here is a link to help: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

9. MegMTL

Oct 19, 2014
    Quebec
    Thank you!!! - yes the eyes were all crusty when we got them! I also picked up 2 RIR from the same place for someone else and they were covered in mud! I'm assuming these guys were all outside in muddy conditions. The Silkies weren't muddy but I don't think much thought was put into their overall well being. I will check tonight to see if I can find the mites, when I saw them last time it was about 11am so definitely was bright out.

I will check out the links :)

They've been exposed to my other chickens :/ should I be worried about the rest of them?

10. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I would keep an eye on them all for a while. Wouldn't hurt to give them a good dusting as well. You may need to clean and dust your coop area too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by