1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just got Ideal day olds and some look like chipmunks...no kidding!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by livingrn, Mar 17, 2008.

1. livingrn

livingrn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Indiana
    I just recieved a shippment from Ideal and there are several that they added and they look like little chipmunks by the colors and strips on their backs. Does anyone hae any idea what they are? I am so new to this and I am at a loss. Thanks for any help.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Without pics, we are just guessing. I have a welsummer chick that looks like a chipmunk. The gold and silver laced wyandotte have some stripes on them also. There are some others I think. Post some pics so we can give you a better idea. [​IMG]

3. ManOfTheJerseyGiant

ManOfTheJerseyGiant Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    Henderson NC
    Do they have feather feeet if they do it might be a silver pencil cochin.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Welcome to the BYC from another Hoosier! Do you have any pic's of your chicks? There is a good chance they are Easter Eggers (EE's) if they look alot like chipmunks. I have a few, grown though. [​IMG] They are really nice chickens, some of my favorite breed. Someone else may have some other ideas. Have fun on the BYC!!

5. livingrn

livingrn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Indiana
    I tried to attach pics but I can't figure out how to post it here. Sorry, guess I'm just as clueless with computer as I am with chicks.

6. RubberChickenLubber

RubberChickenLubber Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Newton, NC
    Brown leghorns also look like chipmunks

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    So are Welsummers

8. coopist

coopist Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Midwest U.S.
    If they have extra fuzzy faces (beards and muffs), they're probably Easter Eggers. They often look like chipmunks.

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I got Jersey Giant eggs from Ideal. 4 out of 12 hatched. I got 3 giants and 1 mystery chick that was chipmunk colored. we are still waiting to see what it is. Only time will tell. It's a nice looking chick so I don't mind.

10. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Quote:Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Congrats on the new chicks [​IMG] Do you have a photobucket account? You need to upload your pics to a place like photobucket, or webshots-I think works to. Photobucket is real easy to sign up with, it's a step by step process, and it's free. Then you can just click on the IMG link of a pic you have uploaded, and paste it in your message. Hope that helps,

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by