just got more babies (6 day old bully help)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdr250, Apr 29, 2008.

1. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    Well I read on here that chicks are like potato chips....well it's true. Went today to go pick up 3 RIR and instead ended up coming home with 6 more chicks. 3 Jumbo Cornish X Rocks, 1 pearl white leghorn, 1 araucana and 2 light brahmas.......ah well I guess I'm hooked. But oh my are they cute wait till the kids get home from school and find 6 more chicks....lol
    I put them in the brooder with the 6 day olds and it seems like one of the 6 day olds is being kinda picky if they (the new babies) pick up a piece of beeding she runs over and grabs it, they stick their heads in the feeder and she puts her head on the other side and pecks until they stop eating. Am I going to need a second brooder or should I let them work it out for today then worry?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I would separate them. Also, are you planning on butchering the cornish x's? I only ask because you mentioned kids. Cornish X's don't live long without special care, and even then it's iffy.

3. jdr250

jdr250 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2008
    Yes, the cornish X's are named hamburger, pork chop and chicken....lol so yeah they're food.[​IMG]
    I don't know if I panicked a bit, the babies seem to be taking it well and the 6 day olds are a little off kilter now because the one brahma is almost as big as them and she's not taking any crap. I wrote the earlier post not 15 minutes after I put the new chicks in. So I think I might give it a little bit unless you're absolutely sure they won't work it out together.
    Oh one other question, will it hurt the older chicks to have the chick starter in the water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by