Just got muscovies, what can you tell me about them??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommyofthree, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mommyofthree

mommyofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    I just got a trio of scovies, 2 females and a male. I am keeping them for someone who is on a strict diet and duck is one of the few things he can eat. So hopefully these guys hatch lots of babies for him to eat!! I believe he said they already hatched some this year, and we also got 2 of their babies (about a month old) that we have put with our other ducklings.
    I didn't have much time to research the breed before we got them, what can you tell me about them? Is it possible they could still hatch a set of ducklings this year?? They are confined in a pen/coop right now (just the three) but will they be okay to free range with my chickens and other ducks eventually?

2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

All I know is that they are not allowed in some places.[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have 9 Muscovies and they are wondeful birds. Pretty much take care of them selves, they are fun to watch and are great bug extermanators. heres a link you might like about them. I have never had another breed of duck so I'm not sure how they would blend in with another breed. I do have chickens and a goose and dogs and they live quite nicely with all of them. http://www.farmradio.org/english/radio-scripts/31-3script_en.asp

4. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    Love my scovies!! The are very quiet and so funny to watch. I love all the different colors. I have 10 but I'm going to scale down when I find out how many boys I have. They are flyers and like to roost in trees. I clip a few feathers on one side to keep them grounded also their nails are VERY sharp I clipped the tips. You will need 2 people but it's well worth the trouble. I raised them with my hens and never had a problem. My roosters are scared of them they flap their wings and run and you wont see the roos for quite a while. It's very easy to get attached to them.. If your raising them for food don't name them or get into cuddling them. It will make it harder. My male was much to interested in my pekin she was not happy. They haven't bothered my runners but they are so fast I think they are to lazy to try. My scovies are huge couch potatoes and just plain lazy. I have 2 kiddie pools for them and that is plenty.

Good Luck with the kids [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by