Just got my Canada Geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sirchrisd, May 19, 2011.

1. sirchrisd

sirchrisd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I just got my 6 Canada geese in yesterday. I've got a few acres and a pond I plan on letting them go around on. I also got some Federal paperwork. I'm not real familiar with this. I see what it is, but does anyone have any insight? I never really thought about goslings or eggs.(Hello! yeah, I know) But according to this, I've got to send papers if I sell or give away geese, eggs, or Christmas dinner. Anyone?

2. ams4776

ams4776 Chillin' With My Peeps

I bet ita cuz they are still endangered species. Not sure bout paperwork. Is it just giving away or if you butcher one for yourself also? Good luck the wild babies here are so cute but in a few months itll be time to play dodge geese on the road lol

3. sirchrisd

May 17, 2011
    From what I read they're not so endangered any more. They can even be hunted in hunting season. That's what kinda threw me on the paperwork. And, what happens if something happens to one of them? Do I need to show someone the body in order to not have trouble?

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I think it's because they're migratory birds that they have to keep track of them, plus they are trying to restrict sales and overpopulation.

I'm not sure about when you have to present papers. But, I don't think you have to tell the game wardens when you cull one to eat or they die of natural causes. But, I think you do have to give the papers to any new owners who might acquire any from you or let fish and game know any sales or distribution of the geese. I'm not really certain.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  5. sirchrisd

May 17, 2011
    Just got off the phone with the Parks and Wildlife Department. They told me the form 3-186, that I got was to track the sales of birds and eggs. If I consume or give away birds or eggs, then it's not required. The giveaway doesn't sound exactly right to me, but it's what they said.

6. sirchrisd

May 17, 2011
    Ok, seems all the info I got wasn't exactly true. I got an email from the Parks and Wildlife Dept. with more information. I cannot,if I read this correctly, give away birds or eggs without first getting a permit myself and filling out the form I listed earlier. And, if my birds have offspring, I need to mark the birds.

7. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Too bad you're not in my area. We have them everywhere by the bazillions. They round them up and euthanize a lot every summer because the people that live in fancy houses on the lakes with big lawns don't like goose poo in the grass or hearing the honking. But, the roundups don't seem to cut the populations. I have them in my yard on pretty much a daily basis. If I wanted to keep some Canada geese, I doubt anyone would be the wiser that they aren't just wild ones coming to visit my small backyard pond. Right now, I'm seeing "goose puppies" everywhere -- they're so cute when they're little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by