Just got my chickens last week. My husband thinks I'm nuts.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kyckling66, Nov 27, 2012.

1. kyckling66

kyckling66 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm new to the whole chicken thing. I've been reading and trying to get as much information as possible to make sure I don't turn out to be a huge failure as a chicken-momma. My husband and I bought a house a year ago that had an old coop out back, and I spent the better part of the last two weeks renovating it. I've got the pullets in place (there are 6) and I'm already a bit obsessed. My husband keeps telling me "they are just chickens" but I'm already completely attached. I look forward to getting advice from all of you.

2. Onewiththeducks

Onewiththeducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Alden,NY
    Until someone gets chickens (Ducks in my case) nobody will understand how attached you can be! Also, welcome to BYC!

3. 1hotmoma

1hotmoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    It doesn't take long to get attached. I know mine almost as well as I know my own kids.

4. farmboy22

farmboy22 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I am somewhat attached to my chickens. I would advise you to not get very attached to them whether they are killed by predators or your husband decides to eat one.
    Feeding the chickens correctly and making sure the coop has no drafts are going to be your biggest challenges. And instead of paying for hay, you could just use grass clippings.

5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Congrats on your new chickens. All us of here understand your attachment to your new chickens. My hubby didn't mind chickens when we first got them but now he is as attached as me . :welcome

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  6. bruceha2000

bruceha2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    NW Vermont
    I don't think your DH will be able to help but like them. They have so much personality. Nothing like working on something and having the girls come around and ask "Hey, whacha doin??"

Have him put some Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) in his hand and squat down by the girls then put his hand out palm up. He'll have friends for life (theirs, not his [​IMG])

[​IMG]

Bruce

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. Yolk

Yolk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Welcome to the forum.

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by