just got my chicks yesterday and have some questionables

malloriedowd

In the Brooder
May 11, 2015
One not sure if i actually got Golden comets or not also got a mystery bantem, all were suppose to be hens but i have two suspious males

Golden comet? He or she?

Bantem??? He or she???

Group with girls this pic shows back of suspected roos head as well

Your Golden Comet looks like a pullet to me. The mystery bird looks like a possible White Plymouth Rock or male Golden Comet (doesn't really look like a bantam).

When would be a good time to separate him from pullets??? And when I do begin to let them out the coop to free range (let me know if I'm using lingo correctly) do I need to let him out separately from them?

I intended to start with laying hens only, but the white one is currently my favorite given the incredibly friendly nature. And IF he turns out to be a boy I prefer to keep him.

Last edited:
When would be a good time to separate him from pullets??? And when I do begin to let them out the coop to free range (let me know if I'm using lingo correctly) do I need to let him out separately from them?

I intended to start with laying hens only, but the white one is currently my favorite given the incredibly friendly nature. And IF he turns out to be a boy I prefer to keep him.
You can just keep the supposed cockerel with the pullets. You just have to worry about aggression and mating (you can still eat fertilized eggs, for the blastoderm (fertilized cell) is really just a network of cells in that stage of development, not yet an embryo). You can let the chicks free range at about 5-6 weeks (or earlier, if the weather is warm and they are supervised).

We are in south Georgia IT STAYS WARM. JUST WANT TO KEEP THEM SAFE.

lol how long does a fertilized egg keep though?

We are in south Georgia IT STAYS WARM. JUST WANT TO KEEP THEM SAFE.

lol how long does a fertilized egg keep though?
I keep my chickens in a penned area with a fencing on top, then they have daily access outdoors and are safe.

A fertilized egg is like any other egg, it stays fresh a long time after being laid (without refrigeration) unless it is washed. Eggs have a natural covering, called the "bloom", that seals the pores and keeps bacteria out of the egg. Washing removes the bloom, and the must then be refrigerated in order to keep. Oiling is when a thin coat of mineral oil is put on the egg to replace the bloom.

where did you get them? I am having an impossible time finding any close to Rice Lake????

Back
Top Bottom