Just got my chicks!!

bwebster

Songster
Mar 3, 2020
Connecticut
Chicks are here and in the brooder! Ordered 10 RIRs/Plymouth Rocks... All rocks. One didn't make it.

Temp is good and I have dipped their beaks in water w/pro-biotic.

Question though.... A few more I surely thought were goners. They've since popped up, but a few are going back and forth between up and running and laying on their bellies looking rough. They are cycling between that. Will they snap out of it or are they struggling too much? Is there something I can do? They were in the mail 3 days....

Chicks are here and in the brooder! Ordered 10 RIRs/Plymouth Rocks... All rocks. One didn't make it.

Temp is good and I have dipped their beaks in water w/pro-biotic.

Question though.... A few more I surely thought were goners. They've since popped up, but a few are going back and forth between up and running and laying on their bellies looking rough. They are cycling between that. Will they snap out of it or are they struggling too much? Is there something I can do? They were in the mail 3 days....
Can you please post pictures of your brooder set up with them in it?
What are you feeding them?
I like to feed a wet mash for at least three days after arrival to help them re-hydrate. I also put some Poultry nutri-drench in the mash for an extra nutrient boost.
And electrolytes in the water for three days with another water source that is just plain fresh water.
Shipping is very stressful on the chicks and you can lose a few. Usually the weaker ones at hatch don't survive long after being shipped.

Surely. They appear to be sleeping. One will run through and they all bust up and peep. Temp is currently 95. I haven't added feed yet as I was told to wait a couple hours. I have Dumor 24% Starter.

Attachments

• 0326200853_HDR.jpg
    0326200853_HDR.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 5
Surely. They appear to be sleeping. One will run through and they all bust up and peep. Temp is currently 95. I haven't added feed yet as I was told to wait a couple hours. I have Dumor 24% Starter.
I don't know who told you to wait to add feed. I would mix up a nice wet batch of mash out of the starter, put about 10 drops of Poultry nutri-drench in it and mix it up and offer it to them in an upturned lid. They make a big fat mess out of it but that's okay. I use these:
1 week olds.jpg

Your chicks have their wings out and appear to be too hot. Raise the lamp a bit. Go more by their response vs. paying too much attention to a thermometer that may not even be that accurate. They should be very active. I would also move the heat source down to the opposite end where you have the feed. They need to have a cooler area in the brooder.

They are going to outgrow that brooder pretty quickly.

I hope you have their coop and run done or will be very soon.
And I much prefer this style watering system for chicks as it keeps the brooder much drier and the water clean.

babies using bottle.jpg

Last edited:
Cool and run are ready to roll. 4 of these will be taken by a friend at 4 weeks. I am only keeping 5. Adjustments in attached photo.

Attachments

• 0326200903_HDR.jpg
    0326200903_HDR.jpg
    454.3 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom