Just got my first actual Frizzle chick! YAY!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LTygress, Oct 2, 2013.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I loaded up my incubator with about 28 frizzle eggs since the beginning of September, ad they were laid. The first one was due September 27th. He hatched without a problem, and he has been running around the brooder for about five days now.

Today I went in to feed and water them, and I noticed his feathers were coming in and pointing OUT, away from his body! Since this is a Frizzle/Smooth cross, only about 50% of them have a chance of getting the gene. But the first to hatch was apparently one of the lucky ones!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you notice, his little wing feathers are definitely pointing out away from his body, instead of going straight back, or curving back to lay flat against his body. So he's definitely a little Frizzle, which makes him my first successfully hatched Frizzle chick!

In the meantime, I'm quickly learning just how much Frizzle chicks are in high demand! I've got orders backed up all the way through the week of October 27th just for the EGGS! Lord only knows what will happen once I get enough incubator room to sell the living chicks!

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on your successful hatch and the first frizzle. They are interesting looking as adults, that is for sure.

3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I own the daddy to these chicks, so I can certainly attest to looking interesting! But I wish he was friendlier because he is SO INCREDIBLY SOFT! However, he's the exact opposite, and has attacked my foot before, leaving a nasty bruise from where he bit it. So I'm really eager to get some chicks from him so we can tame them from Day 1, and possibly even get rid of him if he doesn't calm down.

Looks like I achieved that goal!

4. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Very cool.[​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Congratulations on the hatch! Frizzles are such nice birds!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by