JUST GOT MY FIRST AMERACAUNA!!

SilkiesForEver

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 24, 2012
They started around six months old, Their eggs were relatively small compared to a Leghorn or a Rhoed Island Red. So the eggs were around medium size. Ours laid green eggs.

rubbertoe9999

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 7, 2012
UTAH
They started around six months old, Their eggs were relatively small compared to a Leghorn or a Rhoed Island Red. So the eggs were around medium size. Ours laid green eggs.
can The Ameracauna lay both green and blue at the same time or only one type and what determines if it will lay blue or green ?

Hangtown Farms

Crowing
7 Years
May 19, 2012
PLACERVILLE CALIFORNIA
I think what they lay is what they lay. eggs will start smaller and get larger.

true ameraucanas should come from blue or bluish green eggs.
Mine are very friendly though young so not laying yet. my easter eggers lay green eggs with no signs of blue.

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I've had blue, black and splash Ameraucanas for five years. True Ameraucanas should lay eggs only in the blue family. Mine have always laid eggs in the medium to large range as well. They rarely get to the extra large size, though on occasion, my oldest remaining hen, who is going on 5 now, will lay one that would qualify.

We love our Ameraucanas. They and our Barred Rocks are our favorite breeds for personality. The Rocks lay much larger eggs, of course, and are better layers, overall.

Here are some of mine. They are all aging now, so I'll have to hatch again if I want more later (and I do-great hens!):

Last edited:

Top Bottom