Just got my first buttons!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by birdboy15, Jul 17, 2011.

1. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    I just got a pair of red breasteds and a silver male. What will I get if i cross the silver and red breasted?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Well if you have a pair don't mess with them. Find the male silver a mate as well. Unless he is the male of the pair.

3. birdboy15

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    when I say a pair I mean a male and female of the red breasteds. they were just picked out of a pen of about 35-45 birds. I plan on hatching some chicks and keeping a hen to put with the extra male. If I breed the silver to the red breasted will I get silvers?

4. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    i wouldnt try like QL said dont break up the pair get another silver female for the extra

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You need to know the genetic background of your birds to know what the RB carry but if they are pretty pure, they won't produce silvers. The silver bred to a RB will produce silver RB (unless he is already a silver red breast), there are varieties within varieties of Chinese Blue Breasted Quail and unless records are kept, it is difficult to tell you what will be actually produced. You will get a lot of mixed color birds, that's what I can say at the moment.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:You didn't read the response. They are not a 'pair', the 3 birds were taken from a community cage.

7. birdboy15

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    I bought a pair of frillback pigeons and an indian fantail hen from a 10 year old kid, then saw he had button quail, I have been looking for a second breed to start working with. I know about the genetics of the button quail colors, pretty much all co-dominant. just wanted to know what you guys thought.

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:They aren't pretty much co-dominant...

9. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The dominant colors of the Chinese Blue Breasted Quail are Normal Wild type (blue breasted), Blue Face (both the double and single factors), and the single factor of Golden Pearl. The Recessive colors are silver, white, cinnamon, red breasted, and splash.

Posting a photo of your silver male will help us decide what make he is (red breasted, blue face, ect)...

I hope this helps you [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  10. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:They are such a genetic jumble without knowing their past you never know what you will get but you probably would get silver eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by