Just got my first buttons!!!!!

when I say a pair I mean a male and female of the red breasteds. they were just picked out of a pen of about 35-45 birds. I plan on hatching some chicks and keeping a hen to put with the extra male. If I breed the silver to the red breasted will I get silvers?

i wouldnt try like QL said dont break up the pair get another silver female for the extra

Last edited:
You need to know the genetic background of your birds to know what the RB carry but if they are pretty pure, they won't produce silvers. The silver bred to a RB will produce silver RB (unless he is already a silver red breast), there are varieties within varieties of Chinese Blue Breasted Quail and unless records are kept, it is difficult to tell you what will be actually produced. You will get a lot of mixed color birds, that's what I can say at the moment.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of frillback pigeons and an indian fantail hen from a 10 year old kid, then saw he had button quail, I have been looking for a second breed to start working with. I know about the genetics of the button quail colors, pretty much all co-dominant. just wanted to know what you guys thought.

The dominant colors of the Chinese Blue Breasted Quail are Normal Wild type (blue breasted), Blue Face (both the double and single factors), and the single factor of Golden Pearl. The Recessive colors are silver, white, cinnamon, red breasted, and splash.

Posting a photo of your silver male will help us decide what make he is (red breasted, blue face, ect)...

I hope this helps you
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom