Just got my first coop and need advice!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenDal, Nov 4, 2011.

1. ChickenDal

ChickenDal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    So the wife and I decide to have some chickens.A little research and we discovered we can have 2 adult birds.I started gathering pallets to use to build our coop.Then I stumbled accross a 6'x4' on Craigslist.It is not an ideal design, but it was a great price and a good starting point.It has removeable wheels and I need to make a run for it.With winter coming we need advice on how to winterize it.We want 2 Barred Rock hens and here in Maryland we do get snow.The coop has an open bottom and the side oposite the pop door is just covered in hardware cloth.I plan on leaving it stationary during the winter with the open end backed to a fence.What should we do?

2. ChickenDal

Nov 3, 2011
    Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I don't think you need to do anything. It looks like an ideal little coop/run combo for two chickens. Just make sure the roof doesn't leak and situate it so the open air side isn't too close to that fence, so it has plenty of room to vent.

4. ChickenDal

Nov 3, 2011
    With the base open like that would drafts be a problem??

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    well work realy good for the summer but not cold winters

6. ChickenDal

Nov 3, 2011
    Quote:What changes should I make to it for winter?

7. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    You could stack bales of straw around it as wind block. If you enclose it totaly, it is going to be very dark in there. You might want to shorten the tarp and make a window with heavy plastic.

edited to add : I would cover the openings at the top, or set it so the wind can't blow rain and snow in.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  8. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:the straw bails work good and then just run lights so they lay in the winter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by