Just Got My First Incubator - Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PamB, Nov 5, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    I just went out and bought an incubator since my broody decided the day the eggs arrived that she didn't want to sit anymore. [​IMG] My question is this (please forgive me if this is a ridiculous question..I'm brand new to this): What if I'm not here when they hatch?? What will happen to the chicks?? What I mean by that is, say I'm at work and they hatch, are they going to be okay until I get home??

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Probably better off if your not there to worry an try to help.

3. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Ok, so it is okay for the chicks to be in the incubator after hatching until they are dry, correct? How long is that usually? A few hours? Days??

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Can be up to 24 hours; make sure it is not too slippery though in the bator, if it is, they get splay foot and can't walk. If it is slippery, tkae them out after they start to dry and put under heat lamp. They will fluff out!
    YOu don't need to be there when they hatch, but you should try to, because it is an AMAZING experience; my whole family, even my parents who bought me the incubator, watched chickie #2 hatch!
    (BTW, hatching {getting out of the shell} can take anywhere from 1/2 hour to 2-3 days, so be prepared and don't flip if the chicks take forever getting out of the shell)
    Hope this helps! Good luck! [​IMG]

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Up to 3 days after the first one hatches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by