Just got my first order of chicks from McMurray, they arrived late and DEAD

Ditto, shipping chicks is a reality for the majority. Sure I have some local breeders that do not breed what I need. Many have stock from subpar bloodlines and the chicks have genetic flaws thay cause them to suffer-I will reference the 4 Barred Rock pullets I bought locally last year whose combs are so large at 7 months old that they have fallen overandr been pecked bloody by other hens in the flock. They are also considerably smaller than their hatchery siblings. I'm not going to TSC and buy chicks from a 17 year old who doesn't know a pullet from a cockerel after having the chicks manhandled by everyone in the store-and you think shipping is stressful? I'll fork over the 40 bucks for shipping to get my healthy, sexed, responsively bred birds any day of the week.

Then if the 17 years old doesn't know a pullet from a cockerel then you look and make the choice of what you want. Surely you know one from the other. I'm starting to see there are ways to tell them apart. One has a deeper peep than the others. That's the male. And the cockerels all seem to have thicker legs.
idunno.gif

My mom ordered from McMurrays when I was young and I just ordered 25 chicks to be delivered in April. I am not that far from Iowa and felt that the chicks would do well for me with an April delivery. The chicks that my family got in the past were always healthy and strong. They will vacinate all the chicks for a very low price and you can't know that local chicks in TSC are vacintated against desease. In addition the shipping charges were only $13. Yes I paid more per chick and I paid for vacinations and I also ordered vitamens to put in the chicks water when they arrive but I know my chicks will be much healthier than the ones I can get locally. I think it was USPS's fault that they died. All you have to do is watch the videos of them throwing deliveries over fences and stuff and you know that not all of the people that work for them are careful. I hope your next shipment is a good one.

SAME problem here. I ordered chicks and they all arrived dead. All 40 of them. I am also in Kentucky. They didnt arrive at my post office until Wednesday morning!! They are sending me another shipment next week. I am not blaming MM though, they have great customer service. I have ordered all of my laying hens from them in the past with no issues. Stupid PO!!! Good luck with your next batch of chickies!!

My heart sank too when I read your post. Today is Saturday Feb 11, my 25 little fluffies left Saint Paul this morning very early and should arrive on Monday Feb 13th. Im in Georgia and a cold front has moved down from the north bringing sub freezing temps at night. Im so hoping for them to arrive alive and healthy, but I also realize the reality.
So sorry you had to open a box of dead baby chicks. I hope the enjoyment the second batch brings you helps to soften the blow.

Just recieved my brown layer mix from McMurries...Got a text this morning Sunday that they were shippled. Six pm tonight the distribution center for the post office called (they are about 1 and 1/2 hrs from me) said "we have your baby chicks and they all sound good, would you like to come and pick them up so they don't have to travel in the cold tomorrow?" Jumped right on that one
wee.gif
They all seem to be doing wonderful! 28 of them. I am in Michigan by the way so I couldn't believe that they got here all in ONE day.

Just recieved my brown layer mix from McMurries...Got a text this morning Sunday that they were shippled. Six pm tonight the distribution center for the post office called (they are about 1 and 1/2 hrs from me) said "we have your baby chicks and they all sound good, would you like to come and pick them up so they don't have to travel in the cold tomorrow?" Jumped right on that one
wee.gif
They all seem to be doing wonderful! 28 of them. I am in Michigan by the way so I couldn't believe that they got here all in ONE day.

that's wonderful. and so good of the post office.

I've ordered only from McMurray hatchery and all the way to Alabama and always had great chicks. For the first time I ordered some to be here beginning of February. How disappointing to get to the PO to find only 5 of 53 alive. McM was very thoughtful and considerate. They replaced them and the next week had the same problem.

They are replacing those chicks as well, however, we've opted to have them come at the end of March. I'm hopeful that will end this stretch of tough losses! I don't plan to order that early any more.

I did talk to a lady at Tractor Supply and she said once they had an entire shipment to TSC come in dead in the winter. Not doing that any more! :) Otherwise, MM is great.

I ordered from MM, I think the key is to get ahold of the postal distribution center, have them shipped there. Hopefully on a Sunday someone will call so you can go and pick up. My PO was awesome they called me asap and I was able to pick up on a Sunday early afternoon. So far my 3 day old chicks are thriving. They went straight from MN to San Francisco, then straight to Reno in just over 24 hours. I think it is shipping routes that can dictate success in the winter months. Sorry for all the had the horrible experience of deceased chicks. I think that purchasing from local feed stores can still be a hit and miss, and most don't guarantee.

Back
Top Bottom