Just got my first pair of Calls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mary Of Exeter, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    And I know nothing about them [​IMG] I've had a lot of ducks before, and still have 3 muscovies wandering around the yard and in the pond. I've been wanting Calls forever since they are so incredibly cute, and finally got a pair of whites for $35 (all the others were at least 40 a pair). I've already discovered if I take the male away from the hen to show my mom, the hen has a hissy fit, LOL. Do they have any special requirements or anything I need to know about? Right now they're outside swimming around in their tub, which they were very happy to get when I brought them home.
    Also, how do you know if they are show quality? Just in case I do decide to show them at some point. Either way, they'll be much loved pets! I can't wait to see how tiny the ducklings are. I imagine them being pretty small.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Post some pictures and I'm sure you'll get some feedback on their quality.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    They were in a cage with some other calls when I got them, so they weren't perfectly clean then. It didn't help today when I gave them a tub, in which they got wet....and next decided to go digging around in the dirt with their beaks, LOL. So don't mind the mess in some of the pictures. They were clean and dirty back and forth all day [​IMG]

http://picasaweb.google.com/MaryOfExeter/November7th2010

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    They look just a tad racey in the body, but it is SO hard to tell from the pictures.
    I now have 8 Whites and no matter what you do, they can always find a way to get dirty and then BAM 2 minutes later they look like brand new.
    Pet quality or show quality-either way, you will absolutely fall in love with these little things and I bet you end up with more-they are the potato chip of ducks, noone can have just 2(or 14 in my case). They DO make wonderful pets.
    I THINK they may not be as able to take the cold as well other duck breeds, but someone from up North that has them could tell you better than me-I live in SE Texas so it's not an issue down here.
    In my opinion, ALL Calls are beautiful. [​IMG]

ETA: The ducklings are the cutest little things you'll ever see! Oh and they CAN fly like crazy-believe me!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  5. chikky

chikky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Glenmont, Ohio
    My calls handle the cold weather just fine. I worry about them waaaay more than they need me to. You'll love them to pieces!

Cutie pies [​IMG]

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:Post some pictures and I'm sure you'll get some feedback on their quality.

Yes, please post pictures! You can't post about new duckies and not include pictures - that's cruel! I was expecting pictures! [​IMG]

7. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC

Yes, please post pictures! You can't post about new duckies and not include pictures - that's cruel! I was expecting pictures! [​IMG]

If you look up at my last post, you'll find a link with some pictures [​IMG]
    Not the best pictures, because they wouldn't move from the spot and pose for me, haha. I wasn't expecting perfect by the standard, I just wanted some Calls that weren't a kazillion bucks to start out with [​IMG] Hopefully after I get some babies out of them I can get some better quality to improve with. I don't blame you for calling them the potato chips. I could have left with every Call I saw and be happy [​IMG]

8. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Also, the good thing about where they're living, is it's the floor of this building, which is insulated on 3 sides. I found myself sitting in there most of the day watching them, mostly because it was warmer in there [​IMG]

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_cb4AeStpOZI/R1sMCs1QSHI/AAAAAAAAAKg/wr_Suoxt2ow/s640/SUNP0028.JPG

I'll have a heat lamp in there once it gets colder anyway. Those individual cages above them are where my pigeons breed, and I usually have a heat lamp in there so the light will get them in the breeding mood, and so I don't have to thaw out their water 24/7 [​IMG] Then I won't have to worry so much about my little duckies freezing either.

9. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    Hi Becky! I bought a Call duck and a little Mandarin duck -males- a couple months ago and they live happily with my four pigeons and two banty hens. They all share food . . .but they don't much like the duck food -pellets- I bought. I had the guy clip one wing so they safely wander around my fenced back yard and head inside with the banties at dusk. Not doing anything special except using a heater for their water tub this winter. Their names are Lewis and Clark. The call, Clark, comes up on our deck with the two banties for treats . . . he really likes to follow them around. Lewis prefers to keep his distance. They are fun and entertaining!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Mary Of Exeter

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    How cute! I would let mine run around with the chickens, but I'm too afraid of the predators around here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by