1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just got my first quail eggs!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by localcommotion42, Dec 30, 2012.

1. localcommotion42

localcommotion42 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Buckingham, VA
    I am so excited, I just got my first quail eggs! I got 32 Coturnix quail eggs (that seems so small compared to yal's 230 [​IMG]) I will get there eventually. How many do you think will hatch? They were shipped to my house from North Dakota and I was real impressed with the way they packed them. With that said, do you think less will hatch because it was shipped?

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    AWESOME! :) How fun. I seriously want some fertile quail eggs. I'm even thinking of having them shipped too, because they've gotten hard to find around here, and I currently only have two girls so... not many eggs, and none this time of year.

Most people have a lower hatch rate with shipped eggs, but many have a good hatch anyway. My understanding is, don't set them right away. Let them rest (24 hours?). But wait for someone with shipped egg experience to confirm, because I don't know all the protocol.

Good luck!

3. rllupien

rllupien Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
    Localcommotion, did you order your eggs from eBay? I received some from eBay also from North Dakota last week and they're set to hatch January 8th/9th!!! I'm so excited, these will be my first quail, fingers crossed they hatch. I also got 32!

4. grdavis89

grdavis89 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Holland, Michigan USA
    I also got my quail eggs on ebay from North Dakota and they hatched yesterday/today!! I have read that a 50% hatch rate is good when hatching eggs that have been shipped. So far out of the 20 eggs that I ordered 9 have hatched, so pretty close to the 50% mark. Yes when you order eggs online you want them to set at about 66 degrees(or room temp is what I did) for 12-24 hours. Good luck with your hatch & keep us posted!

5. rllupien

rllupien Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    NC
    Awesome! You should post some pics of those little things! I bet we all received them from the same place. It gives me hope!

6. grdavis89

grdavis89 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2012
    Holland, Michigan USA
    I posted a pic on the thread labeled "Quail Hatching" I will be sure to post more as soon as I can :) I was about to give up hope and then I woke up from a nap on day 17 and there were about 4 eggs that had pipped! Patience is key my friend :p

7. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Have fun hatching and good luck!

8. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    Congrats to all.

I recently hatched shipped eggs fro eBay, I did for 50 Jumbo Coturnix and I got 60, seated them candled at lock down day 8 of them were infertile, ended with 52, hatched 20 at 17th day and 17 at 18th day so they were 37 chicks alive and the rest of the eggs were dead( was my fault, I opened the bator during lock down). Ended with 37 chicks, the first day 10 died TOTAL 27 (be careful you need to make a pretty good brooder and maintain a good temp YOU NEED A THERMOMETER) second day died 6 due an overheating (Lamp to close AGAIN BUY A THERMOMETER) TOTAL 21 and fifth day one little yellow was dead inside of the brooder when I returned from food store ( do not leave them alone for long times).

Lesson learned remember to read a lot[​IMG] before decide to incubate eggs.

Good luck[​IMG]

9. localcommotion42

Apr 17, 2011
    Buckingham, VA
    Yes I did buy off eBay! I hope to at least get a trio out of this!

10. localcommotion42

Apr 17, 2011
    Buckingham, VA
    This is good information. What temperature do they need to be for the first week and so forth?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by