Just got my first quail!!!! HELP updated with Pic's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pamperedpoultry, Feb 14, 2009.

1. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

I just got a trio of quail. I've never had any so I'm kinda clueless... any help I'd appreciate... from housing watering feeding to everything.....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  2. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    If you ordered your quail you will probably need to buy some teramyason it but it helps with the stress from the trip. My little brother ordered a hundred quail last spring and more than half died. You will probably have to get a permit to own them to if you haven't already done that.

3. pamperedpoultry

Didn't order them, Just bought them off of someone. Their full grown. And my neighbors have had them for years No permit so I dont think I'll need one plus I live in the County on a farm.

I'm not sure what to feed them and stuff like that. I need Ideas on setting up a pen for them do they need hiding area's?? Open?? I'd like to get them laying also..

4. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    We keep ours in a wire cage - wire bottom - and feed a high protein game bird feed made by Purina. You will have to see what your feed store carries, but I would go for high protien. I wouldn't recommend treating their water with any antibiotics. Make sure they have fresh water daily and some cover from the elements. I keep my cage inside another aviary of sorts as we have had preditors attempt to pull them through the wire of their cage. I am sure others on here could give you ideas of how they keep their quail that maybe different.

As for permits you need to check with your state regulations. Just because the neighbors don't have one isn't a good idea for you to not check it out. The fees for our state are minor to get a licenses and no trouble in obtaining one. For me being legally able to keep my quail is more important.

Do you know what kind of quail you have?

5. pamperedpoultry

I'm not exactly sure on the type.
    I've looked around on here and decided their bobwhites...
    going to take pic's here in a few

Last edited: Feb 14, 2009
  6. pamperedpoultry

Heres their cage I've got fixed for them, with a box for them to hide in
    [​IMG]
    Heres the 2 hens, hangin out inside the box
    [​IMG]
    and heres the rooster
    [​IMG]

7. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    They are Bobwhites. You definitely need to check with your state about licensing. Here is a Bobwhite roo of mine...
    [​IMG]

Looks just like yours...

8. pamperedpoultry

I Think these are kinda young. We bought another pair for someone my husband works with. These are a tad bit smaller.
    What kinda diseases do they get or are they pretty hardey birds. Wondering what I should watch for in the next few days to make sure their ok.

9. CountryMom

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Some bobwhites are smaller than others. I believe (and someone could correct me if I was wrong) that the Northern Bobwhite is smaller than some of like the George Giant or Wisconsin Jumbos. Just depends on what kind you have. I would say they need a higher protein for feathering or maybe they were overcrowded.

I have been very fortunate that I have had no illnesses with our Bobwhites. We have only had them just less than a year. The only issue I have ever had with them is pecking when they were tiny in the brooder. Red lamps and tree brances/leaves in the brooder helped a whole lot.

Your cage looks nice and woody. Just be sure you have a way of cleaning it out. Keeping them on wire makes them less prone to cocci and that is why I keep mine like that.

Good luck. You will fall in love with their calls.

10. pamperedpoultry

Thanks! I clean my cages out weekly normally and add new shavings and materials so hopefully they'll be chilled out and settled in when I go to clean. I'm goin tomorrow to get them some Game bird feed. What else do they eat???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by