Just got my first show quality silkie. Isn't she beautiful. Named her Cher.

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by queeniechick, Jul 26, 2014.

1. queeniechick

queeniechick In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. queeniechick

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    Question, if I breed her with a lavender split roo that is not show quality will any of the chicks be show quality??

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    From what I can see she is nice. But there are many traits that I cannot see, ranging from toes to comb to her actual feather colouring. Chick display a mix of characteristics from both parents. You should probably not choose to use a poor quality male--the chicks will be less than her quality, but likely better than his. If you get a bird equal to her quality, the chicks will be more likely to be as good as their parents.

4. queeniechick

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME

Thank you for responding. She is a lavender split and I have heard if a breed her with a lavender roo she will produce lavender chicks. I think I will have someone looks closer at her features you suggested and if all is good, I will start my search for a high quality lavender roo. Do you have suggestions of breeders in New England?

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Offhand I do not know who is breeding self blues (lavenders) that lives in that area. I'd suggest joining the American Silkie Bantam Club, attending shows in your area and trying to make contact that way.

6. chacha123

chacha123 In the Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Very handsome!

7. queeniechick

Jun 17, 2013
    Portland, ME
    Thank you. That is a great idea.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: