Just got my Ideal Standard Special...think they sent Sebrights...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sred98, Dec 10, 2010.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hey everyone! I sent Ideal a pic of these. I got 14 out of 30 in the Standard Pullet Surprise that look like Silver Sebrights. They haven't gotten back to me yet on what they are. They are half the size of the EEs! Out of 30 chicks, I got:

5 EE
    2 Browns (Partridge rock?)
    2 chipmunks (dark Cornish?)
    3 white and black (Ideal 236?)
    3 black with white (Austrolorps?)
    1 red and yellow (buff rock?)

The tiny ones have grey/slate legs and are yellow and blue. The wing and tailfeathers that are coming in are white and black streaked like a lacing pattern might be. This is not a great pic, but here goes:

[​IMG]

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them! Like I said, it is almost half the size of the EE's.

Thanks,

Shelly

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Could be Hamburgs. They tend to be smaller than other standard size chicks, but larger than bantam chicks. Since you ordered the Surprise mix, they can't guarantee that you will get any particular breed.

3. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well that stinks that they are considered standard! [​IMG] so much for eggs!

Shelly

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:I don't understand by what you mean about the eggs. [​IMG]

Standard breeds = large breed chickens = medium-large eggs

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    they could be wynadottes [​IMG]

6. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I've read on here that EEs tend to be really big and hearty chicks. It still could be that the others are standard, your EEs just may be big at first. [​IMG]

7. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I don't understand by what you mean about the eggs. [​IMG]

Standard breeds = large breed chickens = medium-large eggs

These are small birds. Not large/standard. I think they are considered standard because there is only one size (no bantam) and they are slightly larger than a bantam but significantly smaller than a Leghorn or other lighter standard that still lays big eggs. I just didn't expect half my order to be one thing that isn't really a standard.

They are too small to eat, and it will take a lot of eggs to use in an omelette. I don't like the smaller birds. I prefer larger birds. That's why I got the Standard Special.

Shelly

8. Omniskies

Omniskies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Missouri
    They may be Silver Spangled Hamburgs. If so, those birds are a lot of fun and do lay extremely well. You'll get medium sized eggs from them. I love the Hamburgs - it's just a pain to find good quality ones with the lovely markings they are supposed to have.

Technically they are a standard breed. So if we're going to be by-the-book technical, Ideal sent you out all standard pullets (provided that's what they are).

Maybe trade them with the person who split the order with you? They're really personable birds that will grow on you, but if you like larger breeds then maybe they will be willing to trade.

9. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:We did split them! We each got 7! LOL! Half our birds are these little miscreants...hopefully they will make up for it in personality! But I'm not keeping all 7. Maybe I can sell them on Craigslist and make my money back. They could be Hamburgs or Sebrights. I guess I won't know til they feather out completely. They have a flattish comb right now, so it's hard to tell.

Thanks for the positive comments about the Hamburgs. I've never had them or been around them.

Shelly

10. cochinfan

cochinfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2009
    I have silver spangled hamburgs and sebrights. They definitely look like hamburgs to me and not sebrights. I personally like my hamburgs and they are good layers but they are very flighty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by