Just got my Rcom Incubator and can't figure it out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by huckleberryfarm, Jan 27, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    This is my first incubator. The instructions with this thing are horrible! [​IMG] If I knew what it was supposed to look like, it would help! It's the nice one with the humidity pump. Can anyone help me put it together? I have the power cords attached. The stupid screws won't go into the egg turner and that's about where the instructions end. I have a lot of parts left! I just received my first eggs in the mail and I need to get this thing assembled. Thanks!

2. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Susanne, by any chance is there a website address at the top or bottom of any of the pages of the assembly instructions? If so, I suggest you go directly to the website. Many times manufactures of incubators and brooders will have technical support information somewhere on their website.

Failing that, perhaps you can talk to the place you purchased it from. Was this an online purchase? If so, return to that website and see if they have a technical support section. They may even have a live support chat room where you could get help.

When all else fails......GOOGLE!!! [​IMG] And remember, with Google, it's not what you ask for, it's how you ask for it. If you don't get what you want right away, try making your request for information in another way. i.e. enter: Rcon Incubator Assembly Instructions....Or, you could try: How to put together an Rcon Incubator. Try it several different ways until you get what you want. I rarely get something the first go-round with Google. It's all in how you phrase your request.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. You never know when the information you find might help someone else...especially when you provide a link to that information! [​IMG]

3. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

4. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks. I did buy it online and have been Googling. Not much help. I think I have it put together for the most part. There's a couple of pieces that I don't know what to do with. I'm trying!

5. JD

JD Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    So sorry I didn't catch this before now. Check out their website here: http://www.r-com.co.kr/ and click english. Look to far right in green where it says news and click on Resource room 1, 11 or 111. They will come up with videos you can watch. I had to do that because couldn't quite understand all the directions. These video's are great. If 1 is not what your looking for hit the back button and go to the next.
    Jodi

6. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks, Jodi. I had actually stumbled on that and think I have it set up. It's running right now but I won't put the eggs in yet! That manual is hilarious. Worthless! What did you set your humidity at? I read on here you should use the manufacturer's recommendation but I have no idea what that is! [​IMG] Surely this will work great in the long end. Not impressed so far... especially for the amount I spent on this thing!

7. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    I've got mine on 99.8 and 45% humidity. I think that is the factory setting. I had tweak mine at 50% at first and went back down to 45. I thought that might be too much. But it does hold the temp and hum real well. It took me forever to figure out the sponge part and that's where the video help me tremendously. Yeah the directions are the pits. When it's up and running it should stabalize on temp, mine did in an hour. I also followed the directions on changing from celsius to farenhight, so I played with it for a while too just to see if I could do it. Check out those videos, won't hurt. They help me to understand a whole lot better. So far I'm loving it. A whole lot better than the little giant!
    Jodi

8. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    Thanks, Jodi. Do you mean the yellow sponge? I think I have that in the right place based on the video. ARGH! I let it run overnight and it seems to be holding the temp and humidity. What's the countdown thing? My kids kept thinking it was messing up. I thought maybe it was when it was about to turn.

9. JD

Sep 10, 2008
    Tennessee
    Are you talking about the digital reading on the countdown? Mine does that too. I think probably when the temp goes down a little and it does that to stabalize back up. I've watch it doing that on mine and when it's through it will read the correct temp. Otherwise mine has been real stable. So far so good. I'm on day 6 now but haven't candled yet. I didn't like the spacers at all on these banty eggs, so I cut out a paper egg carton. I have 6 eggs in there and really don't know their viability yet. I know they are fertile but they are from pullets and will be mutts. I just wanted to try this out and test how it does. I thought on the eggs cartons it would be easier to remove the whole carton when I'm ready to candle, that way I won't we opening the bator with each egg.

10. huckleberryfarm

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    You're right! The dividers are a nightmare on these itty bitty eggs. Never thought about using an egg carton! So smart. [​IMG] At this point, I'm just happy they are actually in an operating incubator. Haven't even thought abount candling! Something new to obsess about!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by