Just got my very first Quail chicks!! Am I feeding them right?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Honey1, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Honey1

Honey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I just got my very first quail chicks yesterday, and I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right. They are day old Jumbo Brown Coturnix.

I'm feeding them Gamebird/showbird crumbles from Manna Pro 24% protein. Is that Adequate?

They are in the brooder at 90 degrees. They seem very comfortable. Eating & drinking very well. I'm a little nervous though as they seem to sleep with their legs all sprawled out all over the place. They also seem to sleep very heavily. Is this normal?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lol.... Yes Its Normal They Even Do That As Adults--- Scares The Heck Out Of You At 1st [​IMG]

Manna Pro Makes A Good Product, But For The Babies They Make A Better Product In The Gamebird/showbird Line... They Make A 30% Starter...... Whereas Your 24% Is Actually A Layer/ Conditioner Feed.

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Looks all good to me [​IMG]

4. Honey1

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank Goodness! I've been glued to the brooder terrified, watching them sleep all day! LOL

I've raised lots of chicken-chicks, but quail are all new to me.

Are they also unusually quiet? My chicken chicks always keep me up all night peeping and squawking, these little guys just hardly make any noise at all.

Where can I get the 30% feed? I got the 24% at TSC & that was all they carried in game bird food.

Thanks for your help.

5. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm adding purina kitten chow to my babies' feed .i put it in the food processor and grind it superfine. they looooooove it. it's 40% protein. what i regularly feed is gamebird starter from southern states that's 28%. the lady i got my birds from said they die w/o high enough protein and she feeds fish meal as an additive.
    Aren't they adorable when they sprawl while napping! ?

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Call TSC and ask them to order the Gamebird Starter for you. A layer food will have a higher Calcium level for layers, not so good for babies.

But you didn't say just how old they were?

Jumbo Browns are more quiet and settled than others, I have heard. Mine are. The only time they cry is when they need something. Course when they get older that's a different story.

I just went outside to feed my 4 week olds. My Rooster started Crowing, my 11 Cockerals joined in. The 2 Male Adult Coturnix put their 2 cents in and about 35-40 4 week old Jumbo Brown and M Gold little guys added to the racket. I gave up, I came back in and got out of the shouting match.

See what you have to look forward to. Enjoy them while they are quiet, cause it ain't going to stay that way. [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The feed you are feeding them is 100% perfect. I feed the manna pro from hatch to adult [​IMG]

Purina comes in starter, maintenance, and blend, but Manna Pro is a better brand in my opinion. It is unmedicated, plenty of protein, just perfect, and I raise a lot of these birds, believe me [​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Oh, you can grind up some oyster shell and mix it in and give it to the babies for more calcium. Helps bone growth [​IMG]

9. ()relics

()relics horse/dog shrink

Jan 4, 2009
    indiana
    i like to scramble some egg yolks and put them ontop of the feed for the first few days. They love the stuff and it is loaded with protein. It also teaches them to "eat" from the feeder...JMO/E

10. Honey1

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Thank you all for the great info!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by