Just Got off the Phone W/ Friend her chickens R Paralized N 1 leg.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by josh44, Jul 19, 2011.

1. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    I just got off the phone with my friend, was going to have her come over, but she mentioned some of her chickens have gotten Paralyiezed in 1 leg.
    So Pretty much ended that conversation about coming over.

I Imidiately thought Disease, Possibly ( Free Range Paralysis) or somthing, I not very knowledgable in the disease department [​IMG] .
    Since the only thing I ever really have gotten was (pox) from all the darn mosquetoes, but tha vaccine pretty muched helped with that, & a few Runny noses buts it's only from after changing litter/ pine shavings.

Anyways
    she Thinks it's her Horses Stepping on her chickens feet. [​IMG]

Im not saying it's not possible, she only has about 300-400 birds who knows, but I would think a horse would kill a chicken if it stepped on it [​IMG]

Whats your thoughts on this ?

She says her chickens go limp & are paralized in only 1 leg for about several weeks, she mentioned up to 1-2 months then they are better.

Again i'm thinking Disease ! She Thinks the Horses did it !

Whats Your thoughts ?

If it Disease What Is it & how do you go about disposing of that many birds ?

2. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Stroke, maybe? Are they also dragging the wing on the same side?

3. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

If its disease, Mareks comes to mind. That they are all recovering and not succumbing to the disease is nearly as remarkable that every chicken that gets stepped on would have the same exact injury that heals in a month? If not broken legs, I'm thinking crushed toes which would leave a permanent limp or disfigurement of their foot.

Good idea not to have her over. Don't need Typhoid Mary bringing possible gloom and doom to your flock.

4. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    She said not every chicken has gotten it, just a few Here & There.

Exactly what I said !A chicken stepped on by a horse would have some foot or leg damage. I don't think Paralysis is from a horse.
    I don't think she'll lisen either, because I brought up the Possible disease theory & the conversation changed pretty quick ! [​IMG]

Can Chickens Even Get Strokes [​IMG]
    We are in 100-10somthing Degree Weather.

It's been hot here In TX.

5. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    make sure her hens aren't exposed to lead, my neighbors hen went paralyzed after eating lead chips from her house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by