Just got our chicks Saturday

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by morganchicken, Mar 10, 2014.

1. morganchicken

morganchicken New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    We are so excited to have our chicks. On Saturday we went to a Poultry Owners Workshop for new owners and then afterward we got our chicks. So far we have a Rhode Island Red, Delaware, Dominique, Silver Laced Wyandotte and a Speckled Sussex. They had to limit everyone to 5 chicks because they had such a good turnout. The feed store has chicks coming in every Friday and Wednesday through the end of April. On Wednesday I'm getting an Ameraucana and on Friday the 21st will get 3 Buff Orpingtons. When I was in 2nd grade (I'm, yikes, 59 now) I got to take home the bantam hen that our class hatched in an incubator. Chicken Little was like a dog and she would follow me around the yard and go on walks with me. Needless to say I loved that chicken. So now we live in Prescott Valley AZ on 10 acres. Lots of predators out here including one of our dogs who loves to chase birds. We are chain link fencing in our front yard and building a coop with a small secure fenced area inside the fenced yard. At night we will put the chickens in the enclosed coop/area but during the day they will have a yard of their own. We have 8 grandkids that come visit from Southern California and we picked chicken breeds that have good temperaments so the kids can enjoy the chickens hands on.
    The chicks are currently in our laundry room in a large horse trough with the heat lamp and bedding. I'm in there almost every hour checking on them and talking to them. I've started putting their feed in my hand and they are jumping on my hand and eating. I also have been picking each one up for about 30 seconds and talking to them, and then putting them back down. They are just amazing. Anyway, so glad to have this website; looking forward to learning a lot from all of you. We are still looking for coop plans if anyone has some they would recommend.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Silkies and cochins are also docile and kids favorites. You are doing all the right things to tame the chicks. I would suggest you have a secure wire top over the stock tank, to keep chicks in and bird loving dogs out.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with the chicks, you are going to have a very colorful flock!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!

Great to have you aboard and enjoy your new babies!

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Go to the 'Raising Back Yard Chickens' forum and click on 'Coop and run - design, construction, etc' - lots of good ideas there.

6. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] Hello and [​IMG]. Nice looking horse! Have fun with your new chicks[​IMG]

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by