Just got our chicks today. Are we forgetting anything?

jdix

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 11, 2010
We just picked up 4 1 week old mixed Buckeye and Rhode Island Red chicks. They also gave us some chick feed they make themselves. I got them home and set up their feeder and waterer, got the temp honed in as close as I could, then built a roost and put pine shavings down then I realized I was running way late for work. On the ride home I realized I didn't have any grit for them. How could I forget grit? Since we wanted to give them some worms we needed some grit. All I have that sounds like grit is tube sand. The stuff for weight you put in your car or truck. Its a mixture of different small sized sands and pebbles. Has anyone ever used this before? It seems like it should be fine. Am I forgetting anything else? They loved the worms. It took a second for them to catch on but once they did watch out. Looks like 1 has pasty butt but I'm cleaning that up right now. Anything else I'm forgetting?

I'd wait a bit on the worms. Just stick to chick starter until they're a bit older. Otherwise, sounds like you're doing a fine job. I never gave mine grit, mainly because I stuck to chick starter and the only other food I gave them was scrambled eggs. They're outside now and eat plenty of dirt, so i don't provide extra grit.

Back
Top Bottom