Just got our first chickens :)

Mcc112311

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 7, 2016
Hi everyone!

Just joined, I love all of the information and tips everyone has to offer. I've been bugging DH about building a coop for years, and we finally have everything set up. We just brought home four very cute easter eggers, about 3 weeks old. It's still pretty cold out here so they've taken up shop in the spare room. I fully admit I have never owned or raised chickens, so it's a bit overwhelming for us. So far, I think they have the right set up-A fairly decent sized living space, enclosed with plenty of access to light and air, heat lamp for at night, and food and water. They sure do love tipping the water all over their bedding though!!

The poor things are afraid of everything-though hoping they can learn to trust us and become part of the family. Some eggs when they are older would be most welcomed too! I'm excited to learn more about raising these awesome girls-and can't wait until they can move into their new coop.

Sincerely,
A very new & excited chicken owner

Congrats on getting your new babies, and welcome to BYC, I just got some more chicks yesterday, a bantam(no clue what kind yet), a silver laced wyandotte, and a leghorn, then on the 10th I'm adding a silver laced polish, you will sure have fun I did, I also have 3 RIR hens and an ameraucana hen as well as an ameraucana roo.

Welcome to BYC!!! I bought 5 new babies a week and a half ago. They are in a dog cage enforced with chicken wire :) in the garage. It's been to chilly in FL to have them outside near the big coop. Can't wait to see your EE pics as they grow!! I had one just lay her first pastel colored egg for me on Saturday. Worth the long wait!!!!

Wow, that's quite the diverse flock! I've always loved Polish chickens, is it pretty simple to integrate a different breed into the mix?

Welcome!! I'm new as well!! I got one day old babies last Tuesday! 5 Easter Eggers here :) It's so awesome watching them grow! I've handled mine and petted them every day, my friend that has had chickens for yeaaaars says to feed them treats when they are older and they will get more used to you. Good luck!! I hope you're having as much fun as I am!

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread). In fact, the search box should become your best friend
cid:72343587-E4D5-49FE-ABD9-FC042197A8B2
Lastly but by no means least, the members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

With their large poofy head feathers, Polish can become a target for pecking by other chickens. If you do decide to get Polish, be prepared to have to set up a separate area for them.

Good luck with your chicks and thanks for joining us!

Silkies and Polish tend to be picked on by other breeds ,unless they grew up with them from small chicks. They look so different from the average chicken they draw too much interest from others.

Back
Top Bottom