Just got our first chicks! But have a couple questions

Laineebug

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Hello!

We just got our first chicks yesterday. We just noticed one of the layers was not standing on her right foot. I looked closer and saw she has one black toe. Any advice on how to handle this? I split the meat chicks and the layers out this evening because a couple of the meat chicks kept pecking at her black toe.

I am still learning about chicks and raising chickens so any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Laineebug

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! You might want to try posting in the Emergencies forum about the chick, a picture would probably help to figure out what to do. www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures so the black toe looks dead? How much of the toe and which toe is it, does the rest of the foot look OK? Do you see any injuries on the toe/foot, is it shriveled or anything?)

kelsie gave you a good emergency thread. Your hen could also have frost bite, if so, you should take her to the vet. She also may have broke it. Is she having trouble standing on that leg? Is there any infection on her foot?

Back
Top Bottom