Just got our first egg....hens are 16 weeks old....time for laying feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrycakelady, Jul 22, 2013.

1. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chirping

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    I was not expecting to see eggs for at least a few more weeks...I need to get layer feed right? Anything else? I was shocked to find this one today!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Free Ranging 9 Years

Feb 2, 2009
    Southeast Louisiana
    If they are laying, they need extra calcium for the egg shell. That’s all they really need, extra calcium.

There are different ways to do that. You could switch to Layer or you could keep feeding what you are and offer oyster shell on the side until that bag runs out. They seem to instinctively know which ones need the oyster shell and which ones don’t. Or just keep feeding the same stuff and always offer oyster shell on the side. That’s what I do but I almost always have young chicks in with the flock.

Another way is to switch to Layer and also offer oyster shell on the side. If all they eat is Layer, they should get enough calcium from that. But if they eat much stuff like treats other than Layer, they could come up a little short.

3. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chirping

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    :) Thank you so much Ridgerunner for your help! The people on this board are so very helpful to a newbie like me....I am getting a great education in chicken raising! :)

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Crowing Premium Member

Spot on advice. As usual.

5. CindyMichelle3

CindyMichelle3 In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Oklahoma
    Just curious.. What breed of chicken do you have? My Black Sex Link has got me thinking she's not far off but she's pretty young at 14 weeks

6. locoguru

locoguru Chirping

Mar 28, 2013
    Congrats on the egg! My RSL are 19 weeks and there was one of them in the nesting this morning when my wife opened it, but no eggs yet.

7. countrycakelady

countrycakelady Chirping

Mar 16, 2012
    Eastern NC
    CindyMichelle3, she's a Red Sex Link hen.....better be ready! :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: