1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just got some chickens!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bebop, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Bebop

Bebop Chillin' With My Peeps

More pictures coming soon! I was only able to get one sent to my email from my fiance's cell apparently!
    I just got 4 chickens. I think one is a rooster, but not sure about the rest..
    Here's just one picture. Thinking more on it..I think this one is also a roo. [​IMG] Any idea of the breed? They all look like this, but 2 of them are more black/brown/white speckled.
    [​IMG]

**EDITED TO ADD! They have green legs!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  2. Chickenlover88

Chickenlover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    Looks like a game hen. Where did you get them?

3. Bebop

I got them from someone who didn't want them anymore. I know they're not game hens. They're all really young; just getting their feathers in still.

4. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    How do you know they aren't game hens. That one looks just like one I used to have. She was a very sweet girl.

5. Bebop

6. Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Rafter 7 Paint Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    East Texas
    Bebop

You said you know they are not game hens. Did the person you got them from tell you that they are not games?

Are you looking at coloring to find what kind they are? I have mixed breed laying hens of that color, but the body style looks like a game breed to me. We also have game hens that color.
    If that is a hen in that picture, with that length of tail, it seems it has to be a game. I may be wrong, but I'm not aware of any other breeds that the hens have such long tails. (There are long-tailed breeds, but they are a type of game.)

Very nice looking! DH's game's lay very well, they tend to go broody more than my laying hens, though.

My guess would be a Yellow-Leg Hatch cross. Only because we have some, & they look like yours.

Jean

7. Chickenlover88

May 10, 2007
    Dallas, Georgia
    I knew someone who fought chickens and they had alot of those green legged games. Looked just like that

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

9. Bebop

lol yeah, they must be game hens. I was just sure they weren't lol

10. Bebop

Well, they are skinny..but they are just skin and bones.
    The previous owners had them in the corner of their yard in a tiny cage. they fed them scratch in a bowl maybe once or twice a week. 2 of them had no feathers on their back.

silkiechicken: Oh no! Their bodies look nothing like that! lol
    if these birds on this page are games
    http://www.glc-equal.org/
    then that's what they are.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by