just got some chickens...

niklaus7

In the Brooder
7 Years
6 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Ogdensburg, WI

and am wondering the breeds. I know the 3 way over on the right are Rhode Island Reds. I think the striped rooster and the hen below him are Barred Rocks. What are the other 2? thanks

Last edited:
ggrrrr, photos don't work well for me on this site....what's the secret?

there we go, 4th time is a charm!

Last edited:
Top - Black sex link rooster
middle left- EE mixed rooster
middle right - Barred Rock hen (next to to the 2 RIRs)
bottom left - EE hen (next to a RIR)

My mother has an EE hen that looks just like her, she's a wonderful broody and lays large brown eggs.

Last edited:
we got 1 green egg and one brownish pink egg today....do barred rocks lay one that color? brown eggs from the RIR's of course. so having 2 "odd" colored eggs in the mix confuses me on the 2 roosters. i thought i only had one rooster here. it wasn't crowing this morning either. i'm a chicken newbie if ya can't tell....

Last edited:
The green egg is being layed by your pretty EE girl. I would assume the pinkish brown egg could be the Barred Rocks, I haven't owned any though so no personal experience :)

Well the EE mix roo (the red and black one) looks young so he might be subordinate to your BSL roo and not be allowed to crow. It was like that with my 2 roos until I let them out to free range and then my big Aussie boy couldn't catch my smaller roo if he crowed so he can get away with it.

interesting...i could have sworn it was a hen i was grabbin in that coop last night. i suppose the brighter colors and longer tail feathers do look like a rooster now to me. the lady i got them from didn't know much about any of them at all. i guess i shouldn't be surprised! I searched Black Sex Link rooster and the pics don't look like the big rooster i have. i think he looks more like a Barred Rock, could that be or is he for sure a Black Sex Link?

A Barred Rock rooster will have more consistent barring, Black Sex Link roosters are half barred rock and they have variation of barring usually with the hackles being lighter in barring than the saddle feathers.

Only Easter Egger chickens and Ameraucanas can lay green eggs. Leghorns will lay white, also a brown leghorn hens coloring is much different from the EE hen and she would have a single comb & distinct white earlobes.

these are the eggs we got today. the one in the middle and the one on the right are the odd ones from what our RIR's lay. I'm color blind so i'm not sure what color the new ones are.

Back
Top Bottom