Just got some new chicks today!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by valkgal, Mar 12, 2015.

1. valkgal

valkgal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2014
    I'm so excited! I have 5 BRs who are 28 weeks old; some are laying and those who aren't are really close. I've been getting 2 eggs on and off for 10 days now. They are just the sweetest girls! They seem to know their names. When I let them out to range and get out of the "safe zone," I can call one of them and they will high tail it back to me. Their names are Ilyana (quite the proficient layer), Mimi (sweetest little girl in the world...loves to sit in my lap), MisAdventure (Missy...she knows her name, because she's always getting in trouble), Royal (kind of a stuck up stinker, but she's so pretty she can get away with it) and Cindy Lou Who (my German exchange student named this big, fat girl!).

Today, there were day old chicks at Feldman's. I couldn't resist...I got a Black Australorp and a Rhode Island Red. The Austrolope is Henrietta (Henny) and the RIR is Penelope (Penny). I'm so excited to be raising babies again! They are in the little brooder my husband made for the first group, and my Yorkie is keeping tabs on them. They've eaten some scrambled egg and drunk some water. They are so fun!

I'm kind of pushing my luck here, I know. Our city ordinance is 6 chicks. But, when it was 3, I had 5 and there was no trouble. I do have a place to take one of them if I need to decrease my flock.

Just wanted to share! I'm reading everything I can about Australorps and RIRs. WOO HOO!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    LOL Baby chicks are the funnest! I'm getting a few more chicks this year even though I live in town and already have 6. But I don't think there's a limit here...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by