Just got some new, cute, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes

Thunder344

Crowing
Sep 12, 2020
Stafford, Virginia
Hello,
On my way home I stopped in at TSC. They had baby chicks, so I got 9 Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. Some of them still have their egg teeth. I don't know if their vaccinated, etc. I just literally picked them up. I am probably being overprotective because the latest batch i have raised (beside these cuties) one died from cocci, and 3 others a friends dog got. I really loved the girl who died from cocci. So, making sure they are all moving, they seem all fine. I put them in a dog puppy thingy that works great for raising chicks. It's also really big. I gave them chick starter and a water jug with some apple cider vinegar in it. Hoping they all make it and have a wonderful life!
(they are all girls. Or supposed to be.)

Also, any other ways I can warm them up besides using a heat lamp? I am using a heat lamp right now, but I want to somehow use one of those mamma hen heat pads. Any suggestions?

Get them warmed quickly or they will weaken and die. What wattage is your heat lamp? U need a bulb that actually produces heat, the type tractor supply & feedstores sell specifically made for brooding chicks. A heating pad will work if u have one that stays on constantly. (Many have timers that go off after 2 hours).

Get them warmed quickly or they will weaken and die. What wattage is your heat lamp? U need a bulb that actually produces heat, the type tractor supply & feedstores sell specifically made for brooding chicks. A heating pad will work if u have one that stays on constantly. (Many have timers that go off after 2 hours).
It is a TSC bulb. I don't know the exact wattage, but it has raised many chicks before.
:thumbsup

Why do u think they are too cold? Are they cheeping and peeping constantly while huddled together? The red brooder bulbs from tractor supply are usually 250 watts. Those bulbs can actually get TOO hot if the chicks are contained in too small of a space. Do u have a thermometer u can place in brooder under heat lamp to check the actual temperature? If chicks get too cold for too long, their organs begin to shut down. Very happy for u and your new chicks, just wanting to make sure they are not in danger of weakening and dying from hypothermia.

Why do u think they are too cold? Are they cheeping and peeping constantly while huddled together? The red brooder bulbs from tractor supply are usually 250 watts. Those bulbs can actually get TOO hot if the chicks are contained in too small of a space. Do u have a thermometer u can place in brooder under heat lamp to check the actual temperature? If chicks get too cold for too long, their organs begin to shut down. Very happy for u and your new chicks, just wanting to make sure they are not in danger of weakening and dying from hypothermia.
I moved the lamp inside so it would provide more warmth and it sees to be doing it's job. They are peeping as loud as a bunch of dump trucks come plowing through your yard. They are warm enough. Now I'm wondering if they are going to get too hot!

Yes u are correct they Can get too hot as well as too cold. If they are peeping loudly, they are distressed for Some reason. If u can put a thermometer in the brooder to check temperature under the heat lamp, that is the best option. It sounds like u have brooded chicks before, so u likely know how to tell if they are comfortable- not too hot nor too cold, but just right. If u dont have a thermometer available, observe them closely to make sure they arent panting and/or trying to get as far away from the heat bulb as possible. And when u get everything situated, post some pics of your new chickies!,😀

Back
Top Bottom