Just got the book!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LizGled628, Aug 20, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    After stalking this forum, and posting about my duck lust, I purchased "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks". I'm only a few pages in and I can tell it's going to be darn right impossible to wait until spring for my little ducklings!!! Thanks for all the inspiration guys (my husband, on the other hand, has other choice words for BYC [​IMG] )

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good for you! I have pored over that book dozens of times. The section I don't spend much time on is the duck colors. I am not interested in breeding them at this point. They are my garden helpers (I have runners).

Do you have a shed or pen yet? I had do make all their infrastructure from the ground up. I am blessed to have a neighbor who likes to do projects. He built most of their house himself, I have built the rest (pens, etc.)

3. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    No duck house yet...but my darling husband made our chicken coop from scratch, so I've encouraged him to make this his next project [​IMG]

We're thinking of making the little duck house with an enclosed run (with water) and connect it to our chicken coop run. Kinda like two hang out spots they can travel between. I heard ducks can make a mess out of coops and runs, so hopefully that will alleviate some of the cleaning issues. Our birds free range most of the day, so that will probably help too.

I can't wait until the spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by