Just got the call

ryanroth

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
NE Indiana
I know everyone says that the PO will call even on a sunday if the chicks arrive. Well you are right. I just got the call 9am on a Sunday morning and the response was...Hello this is the central PO and I wanted to let you know that we have your chickens and we will send them out to your post office, but we figure you would rather come into town and pick them up so they don't get cold and die. Two things come to mind.
1. I am on my way to get the new chicks. I feel like I am on the way to the hospital to have my first child. Is this normal?
2. Why would McMurray send out chickens so that they could have the potential to sit in a cold post office until Monday, when they could ship on Monday and guarantee someone be there on a Tuesday or WEdnesday. Oh well, I am going to get the chicks.

Yay congrats! I am glad the post office called you. And yup I think its totally normal to feel like a new mother LOL. I have eggs in the incubator and I feel like an expectant mother. I wake up in the morning and tell them good morning and ask how they sleep LOL. DH was laughing at me yesterday but I caught him telling them good night last night.
lol.png

Quote:
They shipped them to arrive on Monday and USPS was fast or they should have arrived on Saturday and USPS was slow. Why does everyone assume that what happened is what was planned to happen? that is like asking everyone here why they spend good money on eggs so that chicks can die in these fancy boxes called incubators.

I agree with the OP. Since no one knows what will happen with the mail, the best thing would always be to ship on a Monday and that way they should arrive on a day when the PO is open and operating. I've always been a little leery of the hatcheries that ship on Wednesday precisely because if there is a delay, the poor chicks could be in transit for way too long.

I was told that they ship like that so if they miss a connection somewhere, they are not that extra day in transit, plus most PO's if they are big enough will let you pick them up at anytime of the day or night. the PO is running 7 days week if its a hub or a larger PO. I'm lucky enough to have a hub, lg PO and 2 small PO close.

My bantams from MM were hatched and shipped last June on Friday & arrived at the central PO on Sunday. I too ran to pick them up instead of waiting until Monday at the local PO.

Congrats!! Can't wait to see pictures, that call is so exciting, isn't it!
ya.gif

I'm sure MM didn't mean for that to happen. Sometimes things get delayed and life happens. Hope they are all okay!

Back
Top Bottom