Just got the Meyer Hatchery Catalog and What is your favorite Banty?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nuttyredhead, Nov 3, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Im in heaven! I wanted to add some new Bantams to my now small group and wasnt sure what to add! I think i want to add one of every Banty in this catalog lol!! So my question is What is your favorite Bantam and why?

2. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I've only ever had one breed and they are Silver Sebrights. The rooster are a little on the aggressive side as they puff up and run at your feet but a good nudge will send them on their way. They run off and turn and crow away as if reading you the riot act. When they run around the yard in a flock they look either like roadrunners or small feathered dinosaurs.

I might try to get another breed some day but for now I live my little SSs.

3. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I think I have to go with Bantam Sultans....my little hen is the sweetest thing. When my roo is feeling romantic and she's not, she will run/fly to me to be scooped up and saved!

[​IMG]

As you can see, they are also lovely to look at!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I have to admit, I have never met a bantam that I didn't like. You may want to consider ordering one of the assortment specials. If you have to choose you can't go wrong with any of the d'Uccles or cochins. Birchen, Blues and Golden Laced cochins are beautiful. Sebrights are also favorites but they can be flighty and some people have a hard time keeping the chicks alive the first few weeks.

Get out that credit card and get busy!!!!

5. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    I have to say cochin [​IMG] since I have too many to count and more money than I want to admit into them...for the most part though the hatchery one's are not as full and fluffy but still great-my kiddo's have a few pet hatchery one's here for fun. They are very mellow love to cuddle and hens love to raise chicks..The roos are very good kids pets as well.We also have pet silkies...fluff balls deluxe not as sweet as the cochin's imo the roos are more braty but still a fun addition to the flock.
    I have had very good luck with Meyer's birds..my layers come from there but I have never seen their bantam stock to say what they are like.

6. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Meyer Hatchery is the sponsor of the junor show at The OHIO NATIONAL. Be sure to stop by and visit them when you are in Columbus.

A high level of interest in what they sell is what they would like to have for the very generous contribution they made to the young fanciers exhibiting at the largest junior show in the country.

For those of you who buy meat chicks Meyers are an excellent source of those as well.

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Our two d'Uccles make me laugh every day. They are just so goofy the way they run around, especially "Wrong Way" Scooter:

[​IMG]

You can't see it in this picture very well, but she has a "cow lick" feather on the back of her neck that stands up the wrong way. Plus when I herd the flock from one pen to another, she always gallops off in the wrong direction....

The others I have are mutts: part Serama, part Old English Game Bantam and part d'Uccle. They are sleeker, more elegant than the pure d'Uccles. We love them all.

8. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Hatchery catalogs are treated like books around here. I can read them over and over and over.......it's dangerous. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by