Just got the new coop ready (almost)...(w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Freebird, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Freebird

Freebird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    Springdale, AR
    Hi everyone! This is my first post, and I'd like to start off by showing the coop I've been working on. I had an old 6-sided building laying around that the previous owners had left in pieces in my barn. It's odd shape is not what I would consider ideal, but I decided to use it because it was in good enough shape and it was FREE. I built a square subfloor and mounted it to 4x4's to which I screwed wide strips of 3/8" thick UHMW plastic to the bottom (slick stuff). The 4x's are tapered at the front kinda like a sled. I bolted a heavy chain to the center 4x4 and this allows me to drag the building where ever I want, just in case I want to move it someday. I plan on it being stationary, but ya just never know when you may need to relocate it! The run will be fenced in to about 40'x24' and entirely enclose the coop. I've already got some changes and improvements to make, and some things inside the coop are in a state of flux right now, but I'll get it ironed out eventually. The paint scheme was my wifes idea, and we painted it together....sorta a tribute to Salvador Dali, if you will.

There are six nest boxes that are built into the wall, and you can see them protruding from the exterior in the first pic. The roof is bolted on and open around the top for ventilation. There is also a large window and a chicken door on the back side not visible in the pics. If there is interest, I can take some more photos and post more detail when time permits. I've already moved the birds into the coop, so I've got to get busy putting up that fence - too many predators around these parts!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello & Welcome to BYC!!!

Love the coop, especially your tribute to Dali...DH & I love his work also!

Dawn

3. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] Welcome to BYC!!!!!

That is such a cute coop, and so imaginative! Yes, sometime I'd like to see the front and the inside. How many birds do you have? What breeds?

We're sure glad to have you and your wife aboard!

4. Newchickenmom&kids

Newchickenmom&kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Illinois
    I not only love it...but I want one!!!! [​IMG]

Great Job!! Welcome!

5. judyisfun

judyisfun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2007
    Victoria BC Ca
    Wow I love you new coop, you did a wonderful job on it, thanks for the photos..........

6. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    ok....that is awesome! Put it on your BYC website and enter it in the BEST coop contest! [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hey, nice! We have something in common. We just built this hexagonal coop with scavenged wood:
    [​IMG]

8. FluffyChickenMama

FluffyChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2007
    Tennessee
    I love it.. makes me wanna paint my tractors now... so adorable!!

9. Freebird

Freebird Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2007
    Springdale, AR
    Thanks for the compliments! I'm fairly proud of how it turned out, if it's ok to say so! [​IMG] Right now, I have 24, 6 week old birds, but the coop is really sized for no more than 14 mature birds, so as they mature, I'll need to do some selection to get down to a more reasonable number. I have a mix of Barred Rocks and Speckled Sussex, with one bird I believe to be a Silver Spangled Hamburg. Here's a few more pics I took yesterday.

The birds were a little camera shy here. You can see one of the 3 perches over the false floor. I think I'm gonna ditch the floor as I don't think it's deep enough and may require too much cleaning to be functional - I think deep bed litter might be a better fit. I painted the floor and about 12" of the walls for ease of cleaning. There is a 4" screen-covered hole in the floor for when I need to completely empty the coop and wash it out.
    [​IMG]

Here's my favorite cockerel. He's fairly bold, handsome, and loves me to feed him crickets,etc. He's always one of the first to greet me.
    [​IMG]

Here's the Silver Spangled Hamburg (at least that's what I THINK it is!)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by