Just got these from an auction today, breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LovelyChicks130, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LovelyChicks130

LovelyChicks130 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    I just got five of these same breed chicks from our local farm auction today. One was really picked at so they went very cheap. I am going to look them over for mites also. But I am unsure of the breed or the age, or if they're all hens! My guesstimate on age would be 6 weeks but I'm not sure. They look a lot like my bantam cochins in the face, but they are bigger than them and do not have feet feathers.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. featherfella

featherfella Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Hi there,

It seems that all of your chickens except one are Australops. They are a great breed, I can not tell you what breed that on is with the brown feathers.

Hope this helped.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Considering that some have muffs, those are probably Easter Egger mixes. They are probably about 10 weeks old. All pullets, from what I can see.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    considering what junebuggena has told you, you should be one happy camper.

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    They could be feather picking because of a lack of protein in what they've been fed. I'd treat them to cooked eggs and a bit of cooked meat to up their protein intake and hopefully that will all stop. It'll help them grow back those feathers even if that's not the case.

6. LovelyChicks130

LovelyChicks130 Just Hatched

Jul 23, 2016
    Michigan
    I checked them for mites today, none seen. Yay! So they need some more protein. I mixed broiler feed in with the chick starter, we'll see how that helps out. And I'll take EE's in the mix. I love them. We have four of them. Beautiful birds. I'm happy they are australorps. Good egg layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by