Just got these two

robinef

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2016
St. Petersburg, FL

I couldn't get a very good picture, they're not too keen on us yet! I think one is an Americana? We had two roosters that we raised from chicks (had to rehome) so they knew us and would come running whenever we tempted them with some meal worms. These two don't seem to care much for people. We got them today, the owner thought they were about 5 months old. Any tips about how to get them used to us? We want to let them run around but are hesitant until they know us and will let us pick them up, etc.. How long does it usually take for hens to get to know you and feel comfortable?

Congrats on your newbies! One looks like a Golden Laced Wyandotte (left) and the other looks like an Easter Egger (right), from what I can tell. That means brown eggs from the Wyandotte, and anything from green to pink with the EE. If you already have a flock, standard practice when adding new birds is to quarantine them for at least three weeks. This gives you a chance to observe them for anything "off" and to treat them for any sicknesses (if needed) to prevent your flock from catching anything. Taming older birds can be a little more tricky than chicks, but it definitely can be done. And you may be more successful with some more than others, depending on breed and personality. The main thing is to just spend time with them and be patient. Right now, you're a giant threat to them. Keep it up with the treats, and gradually they'll figure out you mean food, not certain death. I usually don't do anything other than my normal rounds of feeding and maintenance and every time the flock hears the scratch barrel open, they come running. That's what simply going out to the coop twice a day has accomplished. The more time you spend with them, the quicker the process will be. Also keep in mind, some just don't like to be handled. I have a Sussex hen who will hop up on your leg if you sit down, but HATES to be picked up.

The bird in back looks like a gold laced Wyandotte, but I'm not sure it's a pullet. Can we get a better shot of that bird?

the other one is an Easter egger pullet.

Leave them in the run for several days. At that point, you should be able to let them out and they'll either go back in the run/coop for food, or you can herd them back in.

Birds this age don't always tame down to being held easily. It's just not in a chicken's nature to be picked up and carried around. I'd work more on getting them to come for treats.

x2 donrae - spending some time sitting out with them - reading or listening to soft music will also help socialize them - they will see you are going to pounce and grab - throwing some treat near your feet may warm their feelings also.

I'm still getting a roo-vibe from the Wyandotte. It's hard since we don't know the exact age. We really need a better pic of that bird to be sure. Standing profile shot, in natural light, showing the entire body.

Back
Top Bottom