Just Grooming or Something Worse?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiadragon, May 27, 2008.

1. tiadragon

tiadragon New Egg

May 21, 2008
    We have 4 little ones who are just over 6 weeks old. We have had them out in their tractor a few times, but found them standing in the rain on Friday, so brought them back inside to dry and wait out our return to chilly Spring nights (gotta love the Pacific NW!)

Anyway, I have noticed that they spend a lot of time chomping at their feathers, especially on and around their wings. I have checked them for bugs (though I have no idea what a mite would look like) and have found nothing. I wonder if they are just still itchy from feathering in?

Thanks in advance!!

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Try offering oyster shells they may need the protein.

Maybe some grit to give them something else to chomp on.

3. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    Oyster shell provides calcium and not protein. They won't need oyster shell until they are starting to lay.

Feathers coming in are itchy. They are breaking off the outer coating the feather was protected by while growing.

Mites look kind of spidery and pale. Ruffle them up over a black piece of paper. If you see dots moving and not just feather dander then treat for mites. Not real likely since they haven't been out much. It is possible.

If they are still on a chick feed they have plenty of protein. Little black oil sunflower will add a bit more and some oils. Good for growing feathers. Just do any diet changes slowly.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Wasn't even thinking when I posted was watching the news. I meant to type calcium but they were talking about protein on the news... [​IMG] Thats me!!

5. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    My girls do that too, I thought it might be mites so I dusted them all with DE. I haven't found a single mite on them though, so I guess it's just a chicken thing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by