1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just had a crazy idea for shipping eggs (just might work)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sheila3935, Mar 24, 2011.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I was sitting here thinking dont know why but I thought what about using an egg crate mattress pad for shipping eggs. I would bubble wrap first the cut a square of the pad and another the same size sit the eggs in the egg shape part and put the top on tape it and put it in the box. What do you all think could it work? The things I think of late at night [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes that would work GREAT!!

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I'm sure it would work. I just wad each of my eggs in a full sheet of newspaper and pack them in tight. They generally get there fine.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ive sent eggs with bubble wrap and paper and just wrapped and packed tight in bubble wrap and they arrived fine but alot didnt hatch for the people and I know that is a risk with shipped eggs but I thought that maybe this way there would be less jostling with the eggs and more would hatch. I always feel bad when I send eggs and they either dont hatch or if lucky less than half hatch.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I'm sure it would work but unless you have tons of egg-crate matress pads lying around it wouldn't be very economical. Bubble wrap and crumpled/shredded paper work very well and are much cheaper.

6. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I bought some eggs and when they came not a single one was broken. They were in a box FULL of pine needles and each egg was wrapped with paper towel. I thought it was a great way to pack.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sounds like a good idea to me. I'd think the cushion would decrease the jarring of shipping a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by