1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just had a seven week old chick GO BROODY!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hiddenflock, Feb 22, 2013.

1. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Today is our six seven-week-old chicks' second trip outside with the big girls. There's not as much fighting today as there was last time, they're co-existing (mostly) happily. The new ones are very interested in the coop. When they were getting checked on just now, with a peek through the coop door, everything was looking well...then, the white leghorn chick stepped aside, and there, sitting on the nest, was seven-week-old Cameron the easter egger. When she was lifted up, it was found out that she was sitting on another chicken's full-size egg!! A seven-week old broody easter egger!!!!!!

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Are you sure she just didn't fly up there?

How was she behaving? A broody has certain behaviors displayed, such as clucking, puffed up feathers, defensiveness, pecking, wanting to be on the nest nearly 24 hours a day, etc.

1 person likes this.
  3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow, that's awfully young to go broody. Normally, they have to lay a few eggs first. I wonder if she was hiding? Snap a photo for us!

4. hiddenflock

hiddenflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, we know she isn't ready to actually bear children, that it's not biologically possible yet...! But she did do the mama-hen superhiss when she was approached, and she was sitting on the actual egg...we just thought it was the cutest bird-mothering characteristic ever, the fact that she's so young!!! [​IMG]

I will take a picture if we can catch it again. Need to start taking a camera out there...if it happened once, hopefully it'll happen again!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by