Just had horrible intruder scare.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ruth, Jul 17, 2008.

1. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I was just sitting here in my gown getting caught up on BYC. It's almost 10:00 p.m. We live way out in middle of nowhere - woods and no neighbors. Suddenly I heard someone trying to get in front doors - they were shaking and pounding. Like an idiot I start toward doors to see who's there. (Why is it that when they do that in horror movies you know they are an IDIOT but then you do the same thing?) Anyway I get halfway to big double glass front doors when the door bell starts ringing. It's one of those old-fashioned door bells that is really a bell device on front door with a large key that has to be turned back and forth to make it ring. So...got the picture. It's late at night, middle of nowhere, someone trying to get in front door, then ringing door bell.

I stopped in my tracks and ran to kitchen to get husband. Without thinking he runs to front door (by passing the gun cabinet without stopping) - turns on light and guess who was at the door....

Scarlett - our new GSD puppy who obviously didn't like the fact that I had just put her out in backyard by herself to go potty and didn't stay out there with her.

[​IMG]

How she rang the bell we have no idea. DH even went outside to look around and see if anyone was out there (again without weapons and half dressed). We are still sitting here with our hearts in our throats saying "what if...." We really need to realize we are living in the country now and need to take precautions. Thank goodness this time it was just our puppy.

I still can't believe that it was her mug looking in when he turned the outside light on.

O.K. I've had my heart-check moment for the day.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  2. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    [​IMG] I would have had a heart attack.
    Glad to hear you are ok.

This story reminds me of the time when I was about five and my mom was doing laundry. She looked out the window and there was a big moose looking in the WINDOW! [​IMG]

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    The doorbell "might" have been an accident; I dunno, one of my Great Danes figured out our bell and rang it frequently.

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Yes our grown Shepherd Rex can open the doors at our other home because he learned how to work the lever handles and he could lock the deadbolts but could not unlock them. He was always locking us out of the house - once when I was in p.j.s and went out to meet mail lady. I had to go across street and get the boys over there to come help me break into my own home.

5. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ohhh gosh.... funny! [​IMG]

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:It is getting funny now but my heart is still racing.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Silly Scarlett! She is getting to be so beautiful, Monique.

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Quote:Thanks Cyn - she's getting pretty coloring and has the softest coat of fur. Rex's fur is really bristle like but hers is so soft. She's laying by my feet now chewing on the curtains and acting as if "What....I nearly gave you both heart attacks?"

Funny - as my husband is going to door I'm hiding behind wall and peeking around because I don't want them to see me in my gown. [​IMG] Stupid me I should have been going for the gun (just in case) but then I would have had to try and find the key my DH can never find.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Boy, that sure sounded like one of those horror movies, glad it was just your dog!

10. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by