1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Just had my first major loss.....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bessie1994Snider, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Bessie1994Snider

Bessie1994Snider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I went out to check on the birds like I do every night and found one of my best girls dead. She was a meat bird and the heat was just to much for her, she was only 19 weeks old. She was supposed to be butchered with the rest of the meat birds, but she had the best personality. My mom said I could bring her in the house this morning so she could have air conditioning, but I didn't want her to get lonely so I said no. And I just feel so guilty cause if I said yeah she would probaly be fine right now, And I don't even have any recent pics of her, only her baby pics. Any way Big Girl was one of the best chickens I ever had the oportunity to own, may she rest in peace!!!! [​IMG]

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    I'm sorry for your loss.
    Don't blame yourself - those big girls really don't handle the heat well at all.

[​IMG]

3. LadyB

LadyB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    I'm so sorry. That's the hard part of loving chickens, sometimes we have to lose them. [​IMG] You'll always remember Big Girl [​IMG]

4. zumzumfoxy

zumzumfoxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    :< I'm sorry! *hugs* I hope you feel better soon.

5. Bessie1994Snider

Bessie1994Snider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Thanks this has really taught me how much more vigilant I have to be when we have an abnormally long heat wave!!!! Everybody has been getting extra chilled veggies, and I have put extra waters in. Also anybody looking to hot gets a bit of water dumped on them, not that they approve. Still miss Big Girl, but felt a lil, but I know she is in a better place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by