Just had my tooth yanked....oh my!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Pupsnpullets, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I still stuffed with gauze and my mouth still frozen. When all the meds wear off you may not hear from me again for a while....sigh.

Why am I blessed with triple rooted teeth that are anchored to my knee bones. At least that's how it felt. Either that or he was drilling for oil.

2. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Hehe, I once had a Oral Surgeon tell me I was sensitive enough to feel a fly land on a boll of cotton in China.

I know ALL about extractions. I can handle constant throbby pain pretty well, sharp pain is different. The trick for me (and our budget) is to let the tooth get to the point where the extraction hurts less than keeping it in. Oh, and Halcion... that stuff... PHEW... you won't remember a thing.

Just remember swelling peaks between 24-48 hours AFTER the pull. It increases until that point, then beings to decrease. Sometimes it's right at 24 hours that hurts the most (good time to pop pills and sleep) other times it's 48 of pain before it begins to taper. But once it starts to taper it's not too bad. Then I usually just use ibuprophen.

Don't use straws, smoke, any activity that makes you suck. It can dislodge the clot. Which can cause bleeding, if you're lucky, or dry socket if you're not. NOT fun.

Also may want to steer clear of warm drinks for 24 hours. Basically I lived on Slim Fast until I was past the 'peak'... more nutrients than Ensure... and slept as much as possible.

[​IMG]

3. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Yeah that's what I tried to do. I was told back in dec 09 I would need $3600 at least's worth of repair work to keep it! And then there's a few studies around to say that root canals and implants nearly always run a low grade infection. Since it wasn't hurting I chose to 'ride it to the ground'. Forgot that it's crumbling roots were twisted around the wisdom tooth beneath.

thanks for the advise though. I'll go and get more ice and take another shot of arnica. I've got the heavy hitters, motrin and vicadin for later.

4. chickeypoo

chickeypoo The Enabler

Feb 4, 2007
    Wisconsin
    i was gonna say i could have sent you some of my vicadin.. but sadly iused them all with my last tooth extraction. i don't miss that crap. lol. i hope to never have another one.. and i if i do.. imma be sleeping during it(last two. were wisdom teeth and i was awake cuz id have to pay more to sleep) and imma be stocked with the good stuff to get through it LMAO.

5. Pupsnpullets

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    Quote:Thanks for the thought. They did give me vicadin and motrin. I'm bummed though, cos my friend got oxycotton(sp) when she had hers out, lol. It's more fun than vicadin. Just kidding. Anyway, so far so good. Bleeding has stopped and so far I've only popped half of a 800mg motrin

6. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    im with ya on the triple nerves [​IMG] i felt everything. novocaine is hit and miss with me [​IMG]

whats worse is that pain meds do NOT... i repeat do NOTt work on me. Luckily when i got my tubal i did get knocked out ( i remember counting down to the 70s) i woke up in a lot of pain...even though i have a high pain threshold, they pumped morphine in me.. nothing... they called the anesth. to get permission for another drug.. i think demerol? it started with a d (youngest is 10 so forgive my memory) and they said id be out about 36 hours..

it barely took the edge off and i didnt even go to sleep LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by