Just had rangers processed...wow!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by hensonly, Jul 21, 2010.

1. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Yesterday I took my first batch of meaties to be processed. Thirty Rangers. We went with 12 weeks, as we kept hearing about how they don't get big as fast as Cornish... Well, next time they go at nine weeks. They were so big that the guy processing them had to charge extra. They are chilling in friend's fridge until tonight, but when we bring them home to freeze I will weigh some of them...the processer charges extra when the dressed weight hits five pounds. First one for dinner Thurs when Mom comes!

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    impressive, be sure to tell us how he tasted!

3. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Can I ask how much you paid for processing??

4. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Quote:Sure - chickens up to 5 lbs dressed weight, $3 each. Over 5 lbs, $3.50. Only so many of my Rangers were so far over 5 lbs that they should have been classified as small turkeys, which cost $5 each. But since no one told me that part, the guy offered to do them all for $3.50 each. I just a few minutes ago got them back from the friend who was chilling them a spare fridge, I put most in the freezer (god knows where my garden veggies are going to go!), saved one out for dinner tomorrow - it's one of the middle sized ones and weighs 5 1/4 lbs. Yowza!

When I ordered the chicks, they said process at 12 weeks...next time I'll do them at nine. Easier on everyone!

5. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    What is the rationale behind charging more to process larger chickens?

6. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Quote:My processor charges more for non-CX as each bird has a unique need when processing. They charge more for larger birds as the bags they have fit the average 48day old CX, the next size up is a turkey bag.

7. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I have someone here who wants to know what I sould charge to process thier birds, a rir, "black one", "yellow one" and two others. I have no mechanical assisstance (feather plucker) and am very picky - no pun intended- when it comes to picking a bird clean so it takes me about half an hour per bird. The highest priced processing I've seen was just under $4.00 each but I told her my time is worth more than $8.00 an hour to me.

8. NevadaRon

NevadaRon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Dayton
    Quote:Rangers [​IMG] ? Where did you get them? I'd like to see what they look like!

9. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    So what were the weights on them?

10. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I'd like to know where in NY you got them processed, thinking about doing the same myself next year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by