Just had to build an incubator, Pics

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 4-H chicken mom, Jan 18, 2008.

1. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    When I was at Goodwill donating some items, this girl was throwing away this styrofoam cooler. All I thought of was Miss Prissy's incubator. I asked her if I could have it. Why I don't know. Too many enablers on this site. So now I have a box with no lid. My husband asked me why I brought a cooler home and I told him WE were going to build an incubator. He laughed and said you kidding right, even though he knew I wasn't kidding about this. I have said for a while now that I've wanted to build one. So he went to his garage and got all the parts we needed except for a lid and the water heater themostat. I went to Home Depot and pick up a themostat and a piece of glass to use as a lid. The hardware cloth I had, the squares where too big for chicks, so I bought a piece of plastic gutter guard for $1.80 and cut it to fit on the bottom. I put in a flexible tube through the side with a large syringe attached to put water in the dish underneath the floor, (can't see that). I got the pc fan and light all hook up and we are ready to go. I do keep a towel over the glass. It help keeps the warm air in. We decided to cut a square out of the side to use for turning the eggs. This way I don't have to open the glass and let all the warm air and humidity out. I am testing some bantam cochin buff brahma eggs to see if our young rooster is fertile. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Wow - nice job. And to think someone was going to throw that cooler away. One mans trash is another mans gold. I should know - my brother in law to be was going to throw away scrap wood and I ended up taking almost all of it. I built roosts with some of it and the rest I will use next spring when we build a new bigger coop. Good luck with the eggs.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]...good job!

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Just look at you go! Woooo Hooo! [​IMG]

5. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    [​IMG] Fab Job!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  6. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Very nice job. So how is it holding steady on temp and humidity?

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] NICE JOB - awesome in fact....

I always know when my husband says WE - he means its something I'M going to be doing.... [​IMG]

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Your incubator looks great! My aunt sent a omaha steak gift basket for christmas and it came in a beautiful styrofoam cooler that is now stored in the basement...along with the other "newborn" stuff!

9. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Nice job!! The all glass top will make for great viewing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by