Just had to euthanise my first chook :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by L1sa, Oct 22, 2018.

1. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    Thats the first time I've had to do it myself. Feeling a bit numb. And sad, she was one of the first chooks I bought.

She was an internal layer and had swollen to a size where it had started to impact her breathing as of this morning. So I couldn't leave her to suffer. I'll miss little Babs.

Not enjoying this part of chicken keeping.

2. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    So sorry. I had to cull a very bad roo a few weeks ago and as I walked out there to do it I kept remembering my husband and I laughing and smiling as we picked him out. It hurts but you gave your chook a good home and did the best you could.

puffypoo22, Wyorp Rock, Melky and 2 others like this.
  3. Crow-ded house

Crow-ded house Songster

May 2, 2016
    Bartlesville, OK
    RIP Babs.

puffypoo22, Melky and L1sa like this.
  4. Cragg Klefor

Cragg Klefor Chirping

Apr 14, 2017
    County Kilkenny, Ireland
    So sorry for your loss - I have not had to do that yet but I imagine it would upset me greatly! It sounds like you made a decision that was the right thing to do though . Well done!

puffypoo22, Melky and L1sa like this.
  5. chickendreams24

chickendreams24 Crowing

Jul 30, 2015
    Wisconsin, USA
    Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately chicken keeping isn't all flowers and sunshine and bad things can happen.

Take comfort in knowing you did the right thing for Babs and that you saved her from suffering be a horrible death. There was nothing more you could have done to save her. Unfortunately sometimes when we do the right thing it's us that ends up suffering.

Find comfort in the rest of your flock and knowing that without a doubt you did the right thing.

6. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    Thank you everyone. It's actually harder than I thought it would be. I held myself together for the first half an hour and kept telling myself it was definitely for the best, and she was suffering and all those things that we know are true, and then all of a sudden it got me and I burst into tears.

It seems silly, it's only a chicken. For heaven sake I eat chicken almost every day. But she was my chicken, and I loved her.

7. SurferchickinSB

SurferchickinSB Songster

Feb 23, 2018
    California
    That’s too bad, so sorry for you.

Melky likes this.
  8. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I think if it affects you too much maybe next time just let her pass on own while you care for her separately providing comfort measures. But I think you did fine. Sorry for the loss. Hopefully you will not have others in the future with this problem! :(

9. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Keep in mind if found early internal laying you can spay the chicken and spare it’s life if caught early. The chicken then is a pet but it prevents it from happening again. See below other options. http://www.scoopfromthecoop.com/laying-issues-internal-layers-and-peritonitis/

L1sa likes this.
  10. L1sa

L1sa Songster

Jan 25, 2017
    South Australia
    Thank you, I didn't even know that that was an option. I assume that would have to be done at the vets? Is it an operation?

I'll keep it in mind should I notice similar symptoms with any of my others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: