Just hanging out (PIX)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by rebbetzin, Aug 1, 2011.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    On Saturday morning when I let the dog out, this is what greeted me...

Just waiting in the Pine tree over the chicken coop (do you see them?)

[​IMG]

Here they are close up.

[​IMG]

I am glad my girls are all secure! These hawks are not afraid of humans or dogs. They just sit from their
    perch in the Pine tree and watch us.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I would get some hawk decoys to see it they would discourage them from coming around. I've heard that they work. Or CDs.

3. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:I have seen owl decoys. We have a family of four hawks in the neighborhood. I don't mind the hawks, it is said, when they are around they keep the birds away that prey on young hummingbirds. We have had more hummingbird hatch and reach maturity since the hawk family moved in this year.

4. juliaaa

juliaaa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Syracuse, New York
    At least you saw them. I can't believe that they're not afraid of your dog. Any one I've ever seen has been afraid of my wiener dog, maybe just hit bark but still. On a side note, at least you know the hawks are healthy [​IMG] They are also pretty, even if unwanted.

Also, I LOVE that tree! What kind is it? Looks like our willow in the fall/winter.

5. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:It is a huge Pine tree. It need thinning out. We have two of them in the backyard.
    They make a nice deep shade. Very helpful to keep the chickens cool in the summertime.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by