Just hatch chick- Is this normal?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goatmama123, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Goatmama123

Goatmama123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    This is turning out to be my first semi successful hatch... so far I have one chick that started chirping last night (Day 19) and hatched this afternoon (Day 20). It got out unassisted... however it has been about 5 or so hrs since it hatched and it just kind of lays on the wire bottom on the incubator then stumbles and rolls around then lays there....repeat. It also doesn't look like it has dried much feather wise. Should I take it out and try to dry it myself or leave it in.... it doesn't look like anyone else is pipping.

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    it is just tired from hatching every chick does that after hatch, they are more active the next day and it takes a while until they complely dry.

3. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    Ok good, I thought he it was dying...Is there a time frame that it should be up and walking around by where I should be concerned if it's not?

4. Goatmama123

Nov 2, 2015
    Do all chicks chirp inside the eggs? I am getting nervous that no one else is chirping or pipping... the temp of the incubator climbed once the chick hatched and I am worried it is too hot but nothing seems to make it go down.

5. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Some chicks pop out the eggs and are up in no time and others need time to rest and get their feet under them. If your humidity is rather high it will take longer for the chick to fluff up. If there was excess fluid and the chick was more sticky at hatch, it will take a couple days for the stickiness to rub off and for it to fluff up. I always use sav a chick electrolyte in my water in the brooder the first couple of days to give those "slower" movements a little extra help. I run higher humidity at hatch so my chicks don't really fluff up until they've been under the brooder light for a while.

No, you don't always hear chirping from inside the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by