Last night 1-4-18
20180105_083041.jpg
20180104_203645.jpg

11 eggs 8 hatchlings
When should I touch em?
When to separate then from Momma?
When n How to clean nest (shells)?
** I need some Tips / Do's & Dont's **

Mum should wean them herself at about eight weeks. I do a post-hatch inspection for deformities (one very damp day this past spring, the chicks had too much humidity and the little guy's leg got twisted around in the shell. It was still twisted when he hatched. That needed fixed ASAP.) and then mostly leave them alone.

How much you handle them should depend on how friendly mum is--will she be stressed by your handling them?--and how friendly you want your chicks to be.

Agree with the others. Let momma be your guide. There is no harm in touching them, as long as Momma doesn't mind. There is also no need to bother them if she doesn't want you to. So I let my hens guide my actions..

She will get off the nest when all that are going to hatch finish. You can remove eggs then. She may also eat the empty shells, and that is fine, or you can take them.

The main "don't" is don't let the nest get wet. Just keep an eye on them and make sure momma does the natural things. Some are better mothers than others, so just pay attention. That's about it!

Congrats! Beautiful chicks and lovely Mom. She looks alot like one of my best broodies. :love

Back
Top Bottom