Just hatched, brains exposed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by superchemicalgirl, Feb 8, 2013.

1. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    This cutie just hatched. I know the answer is probably cull... but is this an encephalocele?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    It was really bloody and inflamed when it first hatched, now it looks almost pink and skin-like.

3. Keric

Keric Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    I wonder if it was just undeveloped and it will heal up.

4. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Maybe. BF doesn't want to kill it right now. I can do it, but I prefer not to.

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Don't kill the chick! Give it a chance and see how it goes. It colud well be all right. If the chick shows no other symptoms of illness then I would just let it go. Then again if it has problems you should act fast in whatever you do in case disease spreads to the others.

6. Keric

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    yeah there is no reason to cull it now unless of course it's in pain but it probably isn't . I am interested to see how it develops if you decide to keep it. Culling or killing is not a plus side to hatch and raising chickens. I had to cull a 3 week chick with deformed toes. It walked on one if it's ankles and it was slower to develop.

7. Keric

Dec 5, 2012
    Maine
    How is the rest of your hatch going? Just heard a bunch of chirping so I ran downstairs to the brooder and nothing was wrong then realized that one of the pips ziped it's way out and was laying in the bator on it's back.

8. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    I have a few more out this morning. Gotta sort that out then look through what's left.

Brains exposed is still alive in the bator. I'll get a better look when I get him out.

9. superchemicalgirl

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Uggh. The zombie chicks ate half his brain in the 30 seconds he was in the brooder. Holding him in my hands now, hoping he passes quickly.

10. echosrevenge

echosrevenge Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    Ugh, that's awful...I'm sorry you (and he!) have to go through that. Chickens are so NEAT, and then sometimes they just like to remind us that they are, indeed, teeny little velociraptors with no compunctions about cannibalism.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by